Exposure Protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bs63366

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be done in the Panhandle around May-Aug this year and I am wanting to know what people are wearing for exposure protection these months? I am wanting to get a few dives in some of the springs(not in the caves just in the springs) and then some dives in the gulf as well I will be to far from the ocean to get any dives there. Also if anyone wants to suggest some dives in the area as well. Needs to be within a weekend trip driving from Pensacola is about what my range maxes out at. I will also be diving the Oriskany again. Thanks for the help.

Kyle

For the springs, they're 68 degrees.

The gulf, in may & june is warming nicely but it's not uncommon to have a thermocline at depth. Depending on your tolerance, you may be fine with a 3mm, some may like a 5mm early. Later a skin will be enough, once the thermocline is gone. The water will be in the 80's.

This is out of Panama City Beach, but I don't expect much difference going over to Pensacola.

Ok thanks for the feedback, looks like i will just bring my skin and 3mm and make it work. Anybody have any recommended dive sites in the area that they consider must dives while I am down there? Looking forward to the warm water as opposed to the cold water of Japan.

Might want to rent a 3 mil core warmer just in case.

the K

if bringing an extra suit isn't a problem, you might want to add a 5mm. As best I recall, last year we never lost the thermocline.

I can do 2 tanks in the springs with an OLD (ancient) 3/2, but it's gotten stiff & uncomfortable. My 5mm is more comfy.

I don't really need a hood, but using one in the springs keeps a bunch of crap out of my hair. A light hood would do that.

Dude the Springs in our area are about 68 degrees, thermodynamics state that you body is going to try to heat the entire basin, you will run out of calories before the basin does....a 5mm if fit properly should be the minimum for a 68-70 degree dive of any length if time. I know that some people are more cold water tolerant, however physics always wins.

3mm is plenty, unless you're cold natured!! We dive 45 min to an hour with a 3mm shorty, if any!! Morrison is a great dive when conditions permit, and St. Andrews State Park jetties is another great dive!! www.divrsdenpcb.com also tries to do night dives at the jetties for fun, when the tides are in favor!!

For the average diver in the springs, I would RECOMMEND a 5mm. with or without hood (a hood makes a BIG difference) if the diver wants to enjoy the full limit of the depth/gas dynamic.

Just remember, even though you feel "comfortable" in a thinner suit, your body's core temperature is being reduced at a much greater rate than it would be with a thicker suit.

This temperature loss does not go away just because you get out of the water. It is a time consuming process to rebuild the core temperature . . . don't let your skin temperature fool you.

The loss of body core temperature is most noticeable after the next dive because you have yet to bring the core temp back to its normal level where it was at the beginning of the first dive.

The choice is yours. You will be able to tell after your first dive if the suit you were wearing was sufficient. Make sure you note the details in your dive log for future reference.

A warm diver is a happy diver.

Safe dives . . . . . . . . .
. . . safer ascents !!!!!!!

the K

What J says !!! +

If you have the certs and skill sets to make it to the flight deck, it's astounding as to how many 100's of 1000's of scallops are on the deck.

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom