Exposure Suit Question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fins

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi folks,

I'm headed to West Palm Beach this weekend (3/27 & 28). Just wondered what level of exposure protection most folks are wearing this time of year?

Thanks

A 3/2 mil ought to be plenty but look at the forecast through Sunday :zap1: , it doesn't look good:

SYNOPSIS FOR JUPITER INLET TO OCEAN REEF OUT TO 60 NM 1030 AM EST WED MAR 24 2004

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY

THIS AFTERNOON - NORTHEAST TO EAST WINDS 20 TO 25 KNOTS.

TONIGHT - EAST WINDS 20 TO 25 KNOTS.

THURSDAY - EAST WINDS 20 TO 25 KNOTS.

THURSDAY NIGHT - EAST WINDS 25 TO 30 KNOTS.

FRIDAY - EAST WINDS 25 TO 30 KNOTS IN THE MORNING DECREASING TO 20 TO 25 KNOTS IN THE AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

SATURDAY - NORTHEAST WINDS 20 TO 25 KNOTS.

SUNDAY - NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS.

Good luck

fins:
Hi folks,

I'm headed to West Palm Beach this weekend (3/27 & 28). Just wondered what level of exposure protection most folks are wearing this time of year?

Thanks

Most folks I've been diving with have been wearing thier 3mm's throughout the winter. Though I have started seeing the skins coming out, it's still a bit chilly for that for me. Water was 75° this past weekend.

Marc

75 F is still farmer john 3 mil AND hood for me... i'm a cold water wimp

I wear my 2 piece 3 mil. But then again Iwear that on every dive until I get a skin!!

But truth be told, it is still the time to use that suit.

Laurel- The Frog Queen
:froggy:

Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback.

Freedive, thanks for the heads up on the weather.

Who are you going to try and dive with.
I'll be there the next weekend and would like to try and dive there or Ft Lauderdale.
75 degrees!!! Bring the drysuit, I might.

Looks like a good day for Blue Herron Bridge. Looks like high tide is in the afternoon. Yup! Seas are going to be 6-8 ft.

Al

AS long as we're talking H2O temp what will it be like in the Key Largo area in early May? I'll be in Tavernier from May 5 through May 10.

CA Diver:
AS long as we're talking H2O temp what will it be like in the Key Largo area in early May? I'll be in Tavernier from May 5 through May 10.

Tom, check out this link
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/Maps/Florida.shtml

Click on MLRF1 and LONF1 (molases reef and long key respectively) These are the buoys that measure wind conditions, temperature (air and water) and other water conditions. Tavernier is between molases and long key, so interpolation is a good way to guesstimate the temp.

As far as exposure, my rule is if the water temp is between 72 and 76, I wear a 3 mm full suit with a 2mm vest and a beanie hood. It works great for me and allows me anywhere between a 40 - 60 min dive depending on the depth. Above 76, just the 3mm suit and above 84 a 1mm is fine. In May the temp already gets into the 80s.

Semper Safe,

Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom