External storage options, GoPro to iPad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malpaso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're going on diving vacation in a couple weeks and I'm looking for a way to download my GoPro videos to my iPad. I have the basic iPad so I have very little storage, so I'm wondering what external storage would be best. Optimally, I'd like to also connect the storage device to my PC when I get back for editing.

I haven't found anything other than the micro SD cards and the connector for digital photos. I take several cards (32 or 16 gig) with me so I've got a lot of storage room. You could save them to iCloud if there is wifi.

That's more or less what I use to store all my dive videos. I dl into the laptop, edit then download the entire video library into the small storage unit every few months.

So it looks like I need to take a laptop with me instead of the iPad.

Yes, as far as I'm aware. I'm unable to import the files from iTunes into the ipad (mini) either because it says the GoPro's extension is not readable. Still have not figured out a program to convert them or what I need to convert them to.

Edit: I lied. QuickTime will convert them on my macbook, but it said it'd take over 50 hours to convert it into a readable format on for the ipad.

I got a little $250 netbook specifically for this task. It's smaller than a laptop, can transfer from GoPro to a portable hard drive, and play the videos (1080p/30 fps) without issue. Wish a tablet would do all that, but haven't found one that's nearly as cost effective.

I got a little $250 netbook specifically for this task.

I have an old(er) Acer Aspire that I've taken for situations like this. No heavy lifting with it, but good enough to store pics and videos, mapquest some directions and check emails.

I bought a Google Chromebook just for that purpose when travelling. It would be really nice to have a USB port on ipads. Oh, to dream. Then there wouldn't be a need to own 5,000 gadgets.

Many other non-apple tablets will have an internal microSD slot and a port. They cost <$190 USD nowadays. You can move videos from the camera's SD card using a card reader onto the internal microSD (and from there to wherever storage you might want to use).

If you have good internet access wherever you're going, Mega.co.nz offers 50GB free cloud storage and there is an app to take care of your uploads.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom