External storage options, GoPro to iPad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big memory cards and multiple cards sound very good, but wether thats practical really comes down to two things... How many days and how many dives?
If you're doing 3 hours (or more) in the water a day for two weeks, you're stacking up a significant ammount of data to be stored and the transfers needs to happen at some point.
Another thing to keep in mind is that if you have those files in only one location, such as an easilly lost memory card, you have no backup of all that data...

I'm only doing probably 4 ours of diving on my upcoming trip, (husband is a non-diver) so Im not too worried about capacity.

I travel with my iPad and GoPro. I have a few SD cards and the card reader that plugs into my iPad. I also have the iMovie app on the iPad. I download my video files in clocks that roughly relate to each dive I make. Once I have them on my iPad I edit them each night into nice small films/clips (about 5 to 8 minutes of video per dive). Save the finished edited film and then delete the raw footage from my iPad. That way I can keep an entire trips highlights on my iPad without running out of space. When I get home, I back-up all my raw footage on my desktop.

It's a bit of work, but I have found that I enjoy editing the footage each day. Also, I don't always shoot video, so the process of reviewing and editing the video each day makes me aware of mistakes I am making and what I need to improve when I'm trying to get good footage.

A week ago I tried to find a solution to avoid carrying a laptop to Komodo. My initial idea was to find an HD into which my tablet could write (the tablet has a microSD slot, so I could just put in the card from the GoPro and transfer everything to the HD).

However, after some investigating and comparing prices, I decided to go for the multiple microSDs. Several 64GB cards, at $30 each, are cheaper than any portable disk solution and I can also use them as a memory upgrade for the tablet or for a camera, when I'm not travelling.

They also have the advantage of becoming USB sticks with a tiny adapter, so you can share the videos or pictures with people during the trip, play the videos on the ship's TV, etc.

One reason most tablets have never appealed to me... the inability to incorporate external devices easily. I take my laptop with me but may consider a simpler portable device since I also insure my laptop along with my dive gear and that adds significantly to the cost of the insurance. Although I'm no fan, Microsoft's Surface does apparently allow full USB connectivity.

I often take trips of 2-4 weeks and my last one to the Philippines involved 60 dives over 2 1/2 weeks with dive duration averaging about 90 minutes. That created over 200 GB of AVCHD video. On trips like that I take at least one external hard drive and plenty of flash memory so I have copies of the footage on the flash memory, external hard drive and the laptop's hard drive. The flash memory is carried separately from the laptop for security.

The surface DOES have USB, however its rather important that you get the win8 (surface pro) version rather than the win rt version which CANNOT run regular pc software as its a different hardware architecture.
There are also other manufacturers that makes "laplets" like the surface pro. I for one has as mentioned before a previous model of this one:
Acer | Iconia W7P | Iconia W700P-6821 | Model

Perhaps some tech-savvy user here can invent an external storage device capable of copying and/or transferring files directly from the camera. They could also have an LCD screen for playback or to select files. Retail price of $1,000 for the convenience of not having to lug around a laptop. Ha!

Perhaps some tech-savvy user here can invent an external storage device capable of copying and/or transferring files directly from the camera. They could also have an LCD screen for playback or to select files. Retail price of $1,000 for the convenience of not having to lug around a laptop. Ha!
Ideas like that you should keep to yourself and start developing..
A small processor with a simple menu system and an interface, and if you want to go out of your way, swappable harddrives - now there you :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom