External tape players

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big fish63

Contributor
Reaction score
Those of you using mini dv tapes do you use the playback function on your camera to view your footage once out of the water or do use a seperate external player to avoid wear to the heads and shortening the lifespan of the camera.
just wondering if its better to pay out for a seperate player in the long run or just use the camera function? i have no idea what the lifespan of the heads will be.

I have both... a Sony deck and a spare camcorder. Considering what I paid for each I would rather have the spare camera. Rotate the cameras to even the wear. The tape deck does come in handy connected to my HDTV in playing tapes. It is also very handy as a monitor while shooting interviews. Would I buy it now if I could do it again? Value for the money... No, get a spare camcorder.

thanks for te info. yeah, crazy prices the one i was originally looking at didnt have a hdmi port. the ones that did were alot of money.. no deal.

Years ago I bought one of the Sony mini-DV players. It cost more than my camera did. I've used my cameras ever since, and have now gone tapeless with a Sony CX550V flash memory unit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom