Extra D Rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDean59

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone ever had a need for more than two D rings? If so what have you done to modify your BCD to allow for extra attached equipment?

Thanks in advance

If so what have you done to modify your BCD to allow for extra attached equipment?

Thanks in advance

Bought a Backplate and wing setup...you know it had to be said.

yes----added, threaded, a (larger)1.5" split ring to the right side of my Scout ju
11853264112376.jpg
st above the regular D ring----works like a champ...

Has anyone ever had a need for more than two D rings? If so what have you done to modify your BCD to allow for extra attached equipment?

First of all, I think you need to ask what it is that you are wanting to clip off and why? Don't start with a pre-conceived solution, try to understand the problem first!

Once you understand the problem, work out the solution - so for each piece of kit that you want to clip off ask under what circumstances you would actually need it, and then work out where to store it.

Generally, more d-rings may encourage to think that you should take more kit - that you may not necessarily need! There are, IMHO, better solutions than clipping things off so they dangle and get in the way.

To give you an idea of what I would take with me on a normal 20m dive, it would be:

SMB
Finger spool
Notebook
Spare mask

None of which is actually clipped off on a d-ring at all, it's all in my drysuit pocket - it's stuff that I shouldn't need, so why have it cluttering it up?

A normal reaction to pockets is "I dive in a wetsuit"... there are options, you can glue pockets on to a wetsuit or you can buy some X-shorts etc. Would definitely consider pockets first, before adding extra d-rings.

Like women and blue eye shadow you can't use enough D-rings.

I have four. One just under each shoulder, one on my left hip and one butt d-ring. I used to have a scooter d-ring as the person who showed me how to setup the harness the first time said it was standard. I kept it for a bit to see if I would use it (well not with a scooter but just in general if it would be handy) but it wasn't so I took it off.

On my shoulder d-rings I have backup torches clipped off to each one. On my left one I have my SPG clipped off and sometimes a pony. On my right one I clip off my primary reg when not being used.

On my left hip one I use that for a pony also.

And my butt d-ring I have sometimes a reel or sometimes my camera clipped off.

That's about all I need really unless I win the lotto and then can buy a scooter. I'll put my scooter one back on :)

I have four. One just under each shoulder, one on my left hip and one butt d-ring. I used to have a scooter d-ring as the person who showed me how to setup the harness the first time said it was standard. I kept it for a bit to see if I would use it (well not with a scooter but just in general if it would be handy) but it wasn't so I took it off.

On my shoulder d-rings I have backup torches clipped off to each one. On my left one I have my SPG clipped off and sometimes a pony. On my right one I clip off my primary reg when not being used.

On my left hip one I use that for a pony also.

And my butt d-ring I have sometimes a reel or sometimes my camera clipped off.

That's about all I need really unless I win the lotto and then can buy a scooter. I'll put my scooter one back on :)

I use the Scoot D-ring for the camera/video stuff when I need it out of the way temporarily.

Video3.jpg

I use the Scoot D-ring for the camera/video stuff when I need it out of the way temporarily.

Yes I tried that, but didn't like it. Prefer the back d-ring, just seems more out of the way :) I have a tiny camera (see here :)) though in comparison to the one in your picture so it makes it easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom