Eyes, don't fail me now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've tried every type of add on and so far they all suck. Vision is blurry, the glue does not hold, etc. I even tried using a rectangular magnifying glass. That sucked as well.

I siliconed a stiff wire support on the outside of my mask and attached a pair of canaballized distance glasses. I can rotate them out to clean the lens. That works for general diving and I can squint to make out the numbers on my Mares Icon (huge numbers). It looks weird but works fine and allows me to change the glasses as my perscription changes. I'm going to try to silicone some kind of magnification to either the mask or the glasses themselves. If I can't get that to work I might spring for a pair of bifocals to put on the mask. It's that of bite the bullet and just get a perscription mask.

Thanks all for your insight. Yeah, I know, a pad pun. Like you didn't see that coming. Ok, I'll stop it.

Seriously, thank you for your advice, suggestions and recommendations. I believe I may try the glue method with either commercially available products, or silicon a lens from a pair of reading glasses. I also like the idea of using one lens for my near and the other for distance. My primary concern is being able to quickly read gauges but can see where if my diving evolves to where I require significant fine focus work, I.e photography, I may have to go to prescription lenses. I neglected to state I wear disposable contact lenses while diving for my distance vision. Like was already mentioned, my brain can adjust accordingly.

Thanks again, I do appreciate your responses.

Rob

I opted for contact lens after struggling to read my computer in a dark mine. I couldn't be happier. I'd recommend contacts over the stick-ons as your field of vision is full. There's no comparison.

I opted for contact lens after struggling to read my computer in a dark mine. I couldn't be happier. I'd recommend contacts over the stick-ons as your field of vision is full. There's no comparison.

I use contacts when diving already, but may go to just one. Unfortunately my vision has deteriorated to the point where correction is required in both eyes for sharp vision.

I got a Liquivision Computer. Solved the vision problem. I'm developing cataracts and I'm having problems with things being too dim. The brightness and large size of the Liquivision screen is awesome.
I can see my good brass/glass gauge but I was having trouble with the crappy computer screen.

One quick note to think about is the glass glue in magnifier lens that I got, called for Aquarium glass cement (which may be just silicone) but it dried clear and has held up for 15 ocean dives and about 15 pool dives so far.

I know, it's an overkill but just in case... You can use kinda normal glasses with an Interspiro AGA full face mask. This was the reason why I considered having one for a while. Don't know about other ff masks.

I would assume that someone in the USA would sell the prescription lenses and attach them to masks. We have a bloke here in Oz who does it (Oz Bob) and you send him a mask (or buy one from him) as well as your prescription and back comes the mask with professional lenses on it. I have been using for about 6 years and need to change soon to a stronger prescription.

I got a Liquivision Computer. Solved the vision problem. I'm developing cataracts and I'm having problems with things being too dim. The brightness and large size of the Liquivision screen is awesome.
I can see my good brass/glass gauge but I was having trouble with the crappy computer screen.

Yes indeed, my dive instructor has a Liquivision what and outstanding piece of gear. Spendy but wow, I can also see it well without my magnifier lens . I will have one also in the not to distant future.

---------- Post added December 12th, 2013 at 08:59 AM ----------

I would assume that someone in the USA would sell the prescription lenses and attach them to masks. We have a bloke here in Oz who does it (Oz Bob) and you send him a mask (or buy one from him) as well as your prescription and back comes the mask with professional lenses on it. I have been using for about 6 years and need to change soon to a stronger prescription.
Yes "merxlin" posted this company as doing that Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878

My most recent mask, ordered through my LDS who has a company in California as their source, is prescription mask with bifocals. It cost me about $225.00. It took some getting used to just as my first dry land bifocals did, but I can see everything and read my gauges and see my video view finder. Scuba is a visully intensive sport. Don't go cheap on being able to enjoy the visual aspect fully. check our prescription divemasks.com. An investment well worth the money.
DivemasterDennis

Back
Top Bottom