Eygpt crash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I spent the 1st two weeks of February in Cairo and on the Nile. I just got back on May 8th from two fabulous weeks on the Red Sea

In my eyes, you are a brave pair. Airplane bombings aside, there are also kindappings and attacks on tourist areas happenning in many such Muslim countries. Come to think of it, they seem to be sucessfully exporting it as well, so I suppose there's risk everywhere. Good on you for your travel adventures.

I was in Egypt diving the Red Sea and enjoying Cairo and Luxor last August. Yes, there is a slightly elevated level of risk in going there. In my experience the Egyptian government did quite a bit to reduce that risk. I flew a Middle Eastern carrier (Qatar Airlines) from Philadelphia to Cairo, EgyptAir domestically and from Cairo to Athens. Security seemed quite good. Yes, it can happen, but I'm fairly certain the odds are still quite good that you'll be safe.

Scary thing is that the flight originated out of Paris!

GJS

Yes, that's a very disconcerting part of all of this. If they are breaching the security there, no flight is safe that comes from or through there, that's really frightening.

In February, my wife and I flew British Air from Basel to London to Cairo and back. While in Egypt, we flew EgyptAir from Cairo to Luxor and back and from Aswan to Abu Simbel and back. For my April/May 2 weeks on the Red Sea Aggressor, I flew Edelweiss (Swiss Air subsidiary) form Zurich to Hurghada and back. All these flights were very professional and smooth. The airports, particularly Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Abu Simbel, and Hurghada, were modern, efficient, and had security that seemed at least the equal of all US airports I have used. Would I go back again today, the answer is yes. Many believe that outside forces are conspiring to destroy Egypt and Egyptian tourism, it would be a real shame if that comes to pass.

In a way it doesn't matter if it was a bomb or an aircraft failure, the end result is the same - it will cast further doubt as to the safety of flying to Egypt, and hot on the heels of the German declaration lifting the ban on flights to Sharm, some commentators in the German media have been suggesting that if the plane was indeed brought down by a terrorist attack, that it is the fault of the Egyptians.

It's a terrible tragedy, but until the black boxes are recovered, it's pointless to speculate. We know that there was a fire in the toilet situated behind the cockpit. It could have been a terrorist act, it could have been an idiot having a smoke. The Egyptian government have implied that it was a terrorist attack - the implication being that it wasn't the fault of any Egyptians. The Russian airline disaster was initially blamed on mechanical failure - the implication being that it wasn't the fault of any Egyptians....

When Germany rescinded the travel ban I was so pleased to hear the news, but I don't see a way out of this - Russian plane bombed in Egypt; Egyptian airliner falls out of the sky. I hope the answers come soon, but right now I can't see anything positive on the horizon.

As soon as I can get there, however, I will.

Sad Crowley

Going there in November. I do not want the terrorists to win that battle. Life goes on. The risk in my native country is not smaller. I love Brussels.

Perspective is required

Firstly, I spent over 10 years assisting in Air Accident investigation. Right now there are no facts, just speculation. So called leaked data can't be relied upon on its own. It needs to be placed into context with other information. The media likes to sensationalize (I remember being in the US when flight TWA 800 went down and couldn't believe the BS being spoken on national TV just hrs afterwards before any wreckage had been recovered (I was also involved in the investigation). You should always remember that so call "experts" brought in to comment are always paid, indeed some make a great deal of money from being talking heads. You may or may not be surprised to know these so called experts take the same position (almost the same script) each time they appear even on different incidents.

Is the middle east safe. Well I live here and have for 7 years. Only last year I traveled to Egypt with no issues or concerns Although I wouldn't have gone to Sharm. It was obvious that Sharm was an easy target - I'm surprised a night club wasn't hit.

Each of you will have places in your local area you wouldn't go to at night - being a tourist in any location is about common sense. Just don't believe everything you read in the media - most of the commentators haven't been anywhere near the places they speak about

I can only hope this sad event does not affect the progress that Egypt have seemed to make in the security.

Even if (and it is a big if at the moment) this was as a result of a deliberate act, it would be hard to place the blame on Egypt as the flight had came from Paris although it had been in a number of different countries just prior (the days routes were Eritrea, Egypt. Tunisia, Egypt, Paris with the final leg back to Egypt).

The latest reports (officially unconfirmed) appear to have the pilot in conversation with Egyptian ATC with the pilot talking about reducing height to de-pressurise the cabin to remove smoke due to a fire (no mention of explosion).

As Diving Dubai says, anything in the media at the moment is pure speculation - until they have the black (should really be called orange) boxes showing actual data and more debris, no one can accurately state what actually happened. Even taking the reports of a fire in the toilet at face value, there is no idea what caused that to happen (deliberately started, accidentally started by someone having a smoke or a faulty circuit?).

Wishful thinking wants it not to be a deliberate crash, common sense dictates there is probably little chance it wasn't.

Even if (and it is a big if at the moment) this was as a result of a deliberate act, it would be hard to place the blame on Egypt as the flight had came from Paris

It was an Egyptian aircraft. The responsibility for the safety of it is ultimately theirs.

Back
Top Bottom