Faber Steels VS PST

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaCat

Reaction score
MY LDS has had problems getting PST tanks and suggested I go with Faber. She claims they are as good if not better than PST.

I know PST, but know very little if anything about Faber steels (I am of course familiar with their AL tanks).

I would really appreciate hearing what others think...is it true Fabers are as good as PST, or are other possibe motives at work here.

Which tanks do you prefer and if you would, please explain why.

Thank you!!

I would say if you are gonna dive salt water use the PST's as they have a great galvanized finish. I have two faber tanks and religiously clean them after every saltwater dive which includes removing the boot because of the painted finish which is no where near as durable as the PST finish.

..........I've got 5 Fabers and 1 PST E-series..........Fabers are low-pressure tanks '2640 psi'.....the PST E-series are 3442 psi high-pressure tanks........it's probably true the painted Fabers finish can't compete with the galvanized PST finish, but I dive mostly fresh water and have never had and problems with the Fabers ('course I use boots/tanks nets on them too).

Low-pressure tanks are easier to get complete fills .....most boats can't fill over 3000 psi, so you'll never get good fills on HP's on boats.

On the bright side, OMS is advertising a new generation of galvanized LP steel tanks.......which are really Faber tanks imported from Italy and galvanized here in the US....so you get the benefits of LP steel (easy to fill anywhere) plus the benefits of the PST galvanized finish.

Karl

are CRAP!!!!!! AVOID THEM AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!

NOTHING compares to the PST E-series tanks. The Faber HP tanks are WAY heavier than the PST. Hot Dipped galvinized is the way to go. DOnt listen to your LDS. You can find the PST tanks...(if not, PM me, and I will send you some!!!!)

Also, the white painted ones dont like salt water at all. Chip the paint once, and you will forever have rust.

The OMS tanks are crap too. I dont know when they will finally have the galvy faber tanks, but i wouldnt hold your breath... The paint on them (I have two sets of 112;s doubles) is just as fragile as the white painted faber tanks. Chips or scratches will turn to rust, and you will have to scrape, or sand the area down and repaint with rustoleum. This has become a yearly ritual for me (I have owned them for almost five years now.).

Fabers suck. I have a couple that won't VIP due to rust under the boots. Anybody want them cheap?

Your LDS is FOS and is trying to sell you a POS, get a PST.

AquaCat once bubbled...
MY LDS has had problems getting PST tanks and suggested I go with Faber. She claims they are as good if not better than PST.

I know PST, but know very little if anything about Faber steels (I am of course familiar with their AL tanks).

I would really appreciate hearing what others think...is it true Fabers are as good as PST, or are other possibe motives at work here.

Which tanks do you prefer and if you would, please explain why.

Thank you!!

Thank you so much for all of your responses!!

I really appreciate hearing about all of your first hand experiences with Faber Steels. I had long heard that PST with its galvanized finish (as opposed to painted /sprayed) was about the best...but when my LDS kept pushing the Fabers, I was not sure. You all have given me much more confidence to disagree and insist on the PSTs...*thank you very much*!!

Well, this forum seems to have answered the question of which brand to buy. Thanks, all!

Any more advice on size for somebody planning on kayak diving? We usually get 2 hours or so from rented aluminum 80s on our shallow reef, so we don't suck air... but would anybody go with 100s in our situation? If you know what I'm asking, is the weight: bottom time ratio (tradeoff) that significant?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom