Fail! Weekend Certify-

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, thanks for asking. I haven't finished it. I have teenagers. That should explain itself?

I didn't realize how much I should of known before I started. But it couldn't of been a more enriching experience, since I didn't die :D
Now when I go back to it (which I plan to ) I will be a great deal more educated on what kind of experience I really should be having.
Oh yes and I will be starting from scratch- I want to start it all over with a new family of people, do it like it should of been done.

Side note: I am taking a Marine Biology Class next semester- :) excited!

Thanks again,

Reactions: D_B
Hi Gioria,

Even if time and finances conspire against you at the moment, keep the faith! Stay on ScubaBoard, read dive articles, keep working out and above all KEEP THE DREAM ALIVE!

Don't let one bad experience deter you.

I have a fried who jokes about taking 40 years to learn to fly. I have infinite respect for his perseverence in achieving his dream, despite many hurdles he had to jump. One of the hurdles was presented by some a****** who convinced him that only Albert Einstein could pass the written aviation exam. In reality my friend is very smart and after much coaxing he wrote and passed the exam. The flight test was anticlimactic. He almost threw in the towel due to bad (and I personally think cruel) misinformation.

The point to be made is that there are many people who will tell you what are and are not capable of achieving but only you can actually make that decision. Please don't let your prior experience shape your outlook, eventual certification and future enjoyment of diving!

Hi Gloria,
You started a great discussion that debated the many aspects of "simply" getting OW cert in SCUBA. I am sorry your experience was negative and you had to deal with sub-par instructors or I should say they were not having a good day which made them look sub-par. I know there are bad as well as good instructors and if you ask a lot of questions of instructors, DM's and other divers as you sally forth into the scuba experience, you will learn who can be trusted. Scuba Board is an awesome resource.
As I slowly work my way towards PADI Instructor,unfortunately I have learned more from people's negative experiences. There seems to be a lot of marginal instructors who have off'ed a lot of diver's and now those same people have a negative outlook on the scuba community. My OW, AOW and Rescue instructor was the same guy not because he was very nice or entertaining, but he is like a hawk - always watching and without hesitation can either avert problems or direct Assistant Instructors & DM's to prevent disaster. He is methodical in his approach and is gentle with people who are timid or confused. The shop I dive with is in Folsom and was very through in explaining what was expected of me outside the "all-inclusive Price" which was the drive, responsibility for the gear, lodging and food. BTW I dive Folsom Lake and although the best vis I have encountered was 15-20' it was during winter, when the lake is fed by the rivers with no algae present. The low vis is great for training; buoyancy control with your depth gauge as a reference, navigation with your compass as reference and vertigo / panic control with relaxation techniques in the murkiness. It has made me a strong diver in that I can relax underwater and enjoy the view. I hope you continue to learn and grow in this hobby because our coastal ecosystems are under great stress from our excessive lifestyles, so get out there and enjoy them (the fish and stuff) while you can!

Reactions: D_B
Whaleboy,

GlORia's last appearance on SB was March 2011. You might be a tad late to offer her advice :)

Ghost Posting!

Ha, ha....happens to the best of us. You see an interesting topic, have a quick peek at the preview screen, and then you are hooked. Even after putzing around here for a few years I still get caught occasionally.

In reality, sometimes an "accidentally" resurrected post can be very informative if someone has not seen it, is looking for similar information, or has not thought of the subject matter. It's not a "rerun" to you if you haven't seen the episode before.

Guess it helps to READ the date of the post! All that typing for nothing and I can't delete the post.

that is why they post all dates that are 6 months old or older in RED. Oops, I guess they don't do anything like that.:depressed:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom