Fair price for Atomic B1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

N518LF

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I have been lurking for some time and this is my first post.

I only have 14 dive but I feel at home in the water. I am planning on doing AOW before next summer and then, after getting some additional dives in, would like to eventually do the Rescue Diver class. Looking to start acquiring my own gear.

My question is, I am wondering opinions on what a fair price for an old Atomic B1 would be. Seller describes it as in great condition and stored in a cool dark place for a long time (I doubt it was serviced before storage). I am guessing I would be looking at an additional $200 or so to have the regs rebuilt with the first stage upgraded to the current piston and sealed. (I dive in Socal and not overly concerned with freezing but think keeping contaminants out is worth the cost of sealing).

Considering the cost of a new Z2 (and the fact I am still really new to all this), I'm not even sure if the B1 is worth considering?

Thanks

The guy has an zeagle ranger with an older SP Air 2. The attached console/ spg is a Suunto Cobra (integrated air) with SK7. I don't want his ranger (more lift then what I need and it's a tad too big for me). I was going to get an SK8 and would be fine with the older SK7 compass. The Cobra I don't have a strong feeling either way. I have a zoop novo but I guess that could be relegated to a backup computer...

Sorry, forgot to confirm, b1 1st and 2nd with the Cobra and compass in the stock, I mean in the console, lol. No octo.

Lots of uncertainty there. You have correctly assessed your likely cost to refurb. Can do better on your console parts. What's unknown is the internal condition of the first stage.
I'd say $150 for cosmetically excellent, and less if it shows wear. I'd stick it on a tank before you buy, and see if it leaks. That may give a hint as to problems inside first stage, or not.
You'll be at $350 after refurb, and you can get Z2s for less than that on EBay.

I sold my B1 1st/2nd only about 6 years ago for $200 - family discount. And it was serviced and working at the time.

Good for you! You've done your homework. So you know that if it's a "cap", the piston has already been upgraded.

Good for you! You've done your homework. So you know that if it's a "cap", the piston has already been upgraded.

It's a bad habit of mine. When I get into something, I really get into it!

Thanks everyone, I think I am going to pass on the this setup. I Had told myself I was going to buy my own bc and wetsuit first, so maybe I should stick to that plan. Now to decide between a back inflate or a bp/w but that is a thread for another day, lol.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Back
Top Bottom