fake tanner that will hold up to diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donnad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi, does anyone have recommendations for a fake tanning spray or lotion that will hold up to the rigors of ocean diving, peeling yourself into and out of wetsuit, etc.? going to flower gardens soon, i'm pretty white and would like to have some color without doing the tanning bed thing or the real thing.

For a week before my last trip I used Dove Energy Glow every evening and although I didn't get really dark I was not pasty white. It's a self tanner built into a moisturizing lotion and seemed to work better then the straight tanners I've tried. (I'm so white that even a "medium-dark" self tanner usually has no effect.) Just make sure not to put clothes on for a good 10 minutes after applying. As long as I did that nothing ended up with tanner stains on it.

Yah Loreal has a nice one out too......

thanks! the only thing i've used before is neutrogena micromist tanning spray, so i was wondering if the lotion/tanning thing was better. i'm pretty white too.

Actually, any self-tanner should hold up to diving once the lotion or spray has dried thoroughly. Some recommend not getting wet or sweaty for several hours after application to avoid streaking, but once the chemical reaction has happened in your skin, you're golden :) and will be until it wears off. Bronzers, on the other hand, do wash off.
Personally, I can never get the sprays on evenly; I always end up with streaks. I like the gel, and something with a tint so you can see where you're putting it. But YMMV.

I was wondering how those moisturizer/tanners worked. . . .I might have to try one of them.

Hi, I like to use them, but I have not found one that does not come off in salt water.
Does anyone know of one that won't come off.I know our outer layer of skin constantly sheds, but when I peel my wet suit off, I notied that the tan in splotchy in a lot of places and look awful.
V.

Ok, so I think that I'm going to Hawaii for a few days in December. I'll be happy to conduct an ultra-scientific GirlDiver test...i.e. coat each limb with a different tanner and see what happens...but want the top ones. I know that I use Loreal during the summer, but where I'm from...even in the summer I'm in a drysuit, so the saltwater isn't a factor.

I'll use the top 4...and let you know results. Any suggestions or ones y'all want me to try??

i found that the spray tans dont seem to hold up as well as the lotion tans do. Make sure you exfoliate really well first, and then after the tan has developed apply moisturiser every day or it will fade quick and u might get patchy where your skin dries out. Try not to pat dry with a towel instead of rubbing.

Ive found the tans that come in a really thick base seem to be less likely to streak because u really have to rub them in and u notice if u miss a bit. I always put two layers on, leaving abut 30mins between applications. Use some latex gloves so u dont get orange hands
I usually put it on just before bed so i dont get any clothing lines and wake up all nice and tanned :)

My fav tan is Le Tan extra dark (I have fair skin but this doesnt come out at all orange) St Tropez is good too, but can be pricey.

Just go goth and stick with the pale white look.

Back
Top Bottom