Family of four found dead in Tulum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Intrinsically safe means they are designed for hazardous locations and will not provide an ignition source for explosive gases etc. The other unit you show does not provide the sensitivity required for scuba gases.
That's okay, I've already got a CO checker for my scuba gasses. This one is for the hotel room. Thanks for the explanation of what they meant. Seems odd that the manufacturer's website omits this detail.

I don't know how specific that word actually is. To answer your question, the Sensorcon units give fast results to low concentrations, while the First Alert unit requires much higher and/or longer concentrations before the alarm is sounded - yet still will give adequate protection. It's all relative. 1,000 ppm CO is quickly a threat, while 100 ppm is a low level threat at ambient levels, unless you compress it to breathe at depth where 10 ppm is the maximum allowed in the US.

Thanks!

I have never seen natural gas in use in Q. Roo. Lots of propane. Looking at the picture of the hot water tank inside the house with the vent pipe all discolored leads me to believe it was CO.

That's okay, I've already got a CO checker for my scuba gasses. This one is for the hotel room. Thanks for the explanation of what they meant. Seems odd that the manufacturer's website omits this detail.
Thanks!
For your hotel room the cheaper domestic type would be best as they are designed to be loud enough to wake someone sleeping. They probably don't explain the term as it would be something already known by most of their customer base who use their units in industrial and commercial applications. It not that much different than saying something is waterproof to 30 feet without explaining what waterproof means.

There are factors that can come together in a home that can cause furnace, stove, dryer exhaust vents, etc to reverse flow allowing Carbon Monoxide into the living space instead of venting out. It's rare and less common in the US these days due to factors like specs and codes for proper size fans, vents, placements, etc.

Did you know you can just click "watch thread" on the upper right side of the page, rather than making an empty, non contributing post to the thread?
subscribed

NBC reported this evening that the source of the gas was a faulty hot water heater vent.

NBC reported this evening that the source of the gas was a faulty hot water heater vent.
Most of the stories have echoed vague reports of "toxic gas" and more recently referenced the apartment "boiler," and I can only guess that they are using google translate instead of a professional.

This is the first one to actually say carbon monoxide, at least in the print below the video. Family of Four Found Dead In Mexico

Propane, at least in the US, has a strong smell. Not saying the report is wrong. But curious,
Mexico supposedly requires the mercaptan additive that smells like rotten eggs. Propane gas is the norm for hot water, cooking and heating in your Mexico home : Mexico Living

The preliminary findings suggest propane inhalation from the rusted water heater caused the Sharp family to die of asphyxiation:

Iowa family of four found dead in Mexico were suffocated by gas from water heater: report
There have been many stories published in the US, all based on questionable translations from information supplied from Mexico. I doubt that any US journalist went down there to get the info, much less one fluent in Spanish.

Most of the stories just cited "toxic gases" without being specific. This one actually claims asphyxiation from a propane leak, but I have to wonder how accurate their translation was? Asphyxiation from choking, strangulation, or compression deprives the body from acquiring available oxygen, while from toxic gases is a little different - depending on the gas. The more common risk of a propane or similar flammable gas leak is ignition leading to fire and/or explosion, but how much of a leak would be needed to kill all of a family by replacing enough of the oxygen in the room? How low would oxygen have to be? Down from 21% to what - 16%? That's be a 5/100 change or 50,000 ppm which would be a lot of smelly propane!

A few stories have actually claimed carbon monoxide, which could be deadly at much lower rates, no smell, and little fire risk. I don't know how accurate those stories and their translations were either, but I still see this as the more likely cause.

Traveling with at least a household CO alarm greatly reduces risks, as hotel room seldom have them, but so few bother. I carry a Sensorcon for more detailed warnings, and if anyone is interested - I just got an email announcing a 20% discount thru April 25. See Sensorcon 20% discounts thru April 25

Back
Top Bottom