Family with Jr OW divers needs dive op

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

momliz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My apologies if this question has been answered before, I did a search and found nothing. We are a diving family, two 14 year old kids with parents. We got certified last summer, and dove Belize (Ambergris Caye and Thatch Caye - wonderful!) and had an incredible time. Now, we are considering Coz for after the Christmas school break. I would like a more personalized dive op, the kids can't go deep - jr OW are limited to 40' - and my husband and I are new enough that we are cautious about it. And, at least in Belize, there was enough to see for me that I felt no need to go deep anyway. So, I am looking for a dive op that has personalized enough service that it would be OK for us to putt along at less than 40', and we wouldn't hold back any speed demons (we are still slow getting suited up, and it's all new and exciting for us underwater) or folks that want to go really deep.

Thanks for your help! :D

I'll not try to offer particular suggestions, but with 4 - you could almost hire a private boat, and a private DM for the kids is not a bad idea at all anyway. Might check the prices, altho it'll be a busy time period.

Hi Email Opal at Scubamaucozumel.com she would love to get a boat out for you and your family. They are very safety conscious and have good rental gear if you need any. They are located at Villa Blanca. The shore dives are free with your open water dives. Have fun, that's nice you dive as a family. seeya kev

we actually had a private DM in Ambergris, and ended up with one at Thatch since we were the only ones diving, and that worked out well. I will consider that, thanks - it wasn't that much more expensive, and definitely worthwhile...

Send Joyce at Blue Magic Scuba an email. I was there in July with a small group and was on a smaller boat that I'm sure would be perfect for the 5 of you. Safety is always first with them. She gives very personalized service, has great rental gear, and will be sure that you are well taken care of. Blue Magic Scuba Shop, scuba diving cozumel, Dive Packages, Scuba Lessons

You could also get in touch with PapaHogs. They have several small 6-pack boats and would be able to put you on one of those together and it might just be the 4 of you. We used to dive with them all the time with our Jr diver daughter and most of them time it was just the 3 of us, or maybe 1-2 other divers. They let us pick the dive sites. Papa Hogs Scuba Emporium of Cozumel - Mexico

robin:D

we wouldn't hold back any speed demons (we are still slow getting suited up, and it's all new and exciting for us underwater) or folks that want to go really deep.

Thanks for your help! :D
No need to worry, most dive shops on Coz will be able to accommodate you and your needs. If you don't hire your own boat, the shop should pair you with newer divers as well, you should never feel that you are holding anybody back. Every diver has been new at one point or another, relax and you will have a blast.

There are probably about 50+ small shops in Cozumel that run boats with 6-8 divers max. Any of them would be able to set up a private DM, or depending on their bookings, you might even end up on your own boat. With the shops that run large boats you could get a private DM easily as well.

Everyone has their favorite Cozumel dive shops so you're going to get a lot of, "contact (insert shop name), they are the one you want," type of responses to your question.

Cozumel is definitely not a "one shop fits all" type of dive destination. Decide what you are most comfortable with - big or small boat, price range, extra service features & amenities, pier pick up or meet the boat at their shop or the caleta (marina), etc. - then see which shops best meet your criteria and contact them about your junior divers.

thanks, all, for your suggestions! I'm thinking it will be pretty busy in Coz the week after Christmas (the last time I was there was in August a couple years ago). Will this affect diving at all - will there be crowds at the dive sites?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom