Fantasy Island Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FIBR set it up for us (talk to the front desk). Several locals had offered to set something similar up for us for cheaper, but we figured we wanted to play it safe and use the "official" FIBR driver. It worked out great. We went for a nice lobster dinner in west end, and even though it wasn,t the best lobster I've had, it was amazing after a week of eating the buffet! :D:D

You will find eadible stuff... If worst comes to worst, stick to the pasta with some butter and cheeze... It will fill you... While I was there, I found the shrimp and fried fish (both local I was told) to be pretty good. That with some rice, and you're in business...:coffee:

b

did they set it up for you or did you do it on your own? I would like to go one day and say hello to people we met in West Bay who worked there and there were good lobster dinner I would like to go back to. I just read a bunch of reviews on tripadvisor from people that have stayed at FIBR in the last month and they said the food wasn't bad.
While our major thing is diving.... not eating as long as it is edible I am good....happy with fruit and pasta...
Thanks
Lynn

That stinks about your husband. How did that end up happening? At least the storm didn't hamper much of your diving...

We are very careful about our dive profiles and follow our computers religiously. But these things can happen even when you do everything right. It was very mild and should not prevent a problem with future diving...thanks for asking :kiss2:

I can tell you that I had an opportunity to introduce myself and meet with the owner of Fantasy Island during my last stay. While the conversation was very casual we did sit down and have tea together. During our conversation he made several comments about how anything that happens regarding the resort is a direct reflection of him and he was feeling it was possibly time for a change. This really stood out to me at how personnel he took everything about the resort and his commitment to it.

From my understanding the contract he has with Privilege Hotels to manage the the resort is up in October and yes it will not be renewed. This all makes me even more excited to see what changes are ahead and makes me think I need to book a trip down there soon to see what’s going on!

As for the Boats I did see the new one and WOW it is nice!!!!! He informed me that until the registration and insurance is taken care of it will have to sit and wait. I guess even paperwork is on island time.

That's very interesting about privilege hotels no longer managing the hotel. Thanks for posting that info.

I guess even paperwork is on island time.

Oh you have no idea! I would rather have my wisdom teeth pulled again rather than have to redo all of our legal paperwork in Honduras involved with titles, registrations for vehicles and property.

Last edited:
We were at FIBR at the end of April. I inquired about a taxi to and from West End. They told me it was about $50.00. So I rented a little 5 speed car. The rental was about $40.00. It's been a couple of years since I drove a stick, but it did not take long to remember how to drive it. Kind of like riding a bike. I did have fun on the winding roads with all the hills. We ended up staying in West End a little longer than we planned, so the ride back to the resort in the dark was a little scary. Since we had use of the car we drove around a little more and got to see more of the island. I would not hesitate to do it again.

I'm so happy your car rental experience turned out so well for you. But be advised...the driving on Roatan is NOT like you would expect here in the U.S. There are numerous accidents and the island is simply not equipped to handle things like we are here. If you decide to strike out on your own, PLEASE at least consider the possibility that something could go very wrong and be prepared just in case.

That's my lecture for the day :kiss2:

I'm so happy your car rental experience turned out so well for you. But be advised...the driving on Roatan is NOT like you would expect here in the U.S. There are numerous accidents and the island is simply not equipped to handle things like we are here. If you decide to strike out on your own, PLEASE at least consider the possibility that something could go very wrong and be prepared just in case.

That's my lecture for the day :kiss2:

While there, we came upon an accident just a few seconds after it happened. The injured motorcycle driver just sat in the middle of the lane holding his leg until someone put him into a taxi. I suspect it would have been a long wait for an ambulance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom