Fat AND smoking cigarettes???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amazing. The deflection that smokers will make when rationalizing their smoking...
Not really. Nicotine actually messes with your brain.
When I was in the process of withdrawal after quitting, my brain knew perfectly well that as a stubborn, strong-willed manly man, no amount of "desire" would be successful in getting me to smoke again, so it concocted some very interesting and even bizarre rationalizations, the most convincing of which went something like this...
"You should have a cigarette...
It's the right thing to do.
If you don't have a cigarette, you are a bad person.
Failing to have a cigarette is sinful, evil."
Of course it's ridiculous and pure BS, but the brain will make it real. Fighting back these dillusional thoughts of the addicted brain is the most difficult paft of a successful "quit."
Likewise, before I quit, I can remember coming up with some of the most cockeyed - in retrospect idiotic - reasons and excuses to keep smoking. Now I realize that was an addicted brain fighting for survival.
Realize that when you hear one of these illogical nonsensical rationalizations from a smoker that it is as real as the sunrise to them.
I know... I used 'em all :)
Rick

Amazing. The deflection that smokers will make when rationalizing their smoking...

The only possible rationalization for smoking is simply that the smoker wants to smoke. It isn't any fun to debate the subject with smokers though. They know it's bad for them but they choose to do it anyway. It just doesn't leave anything to talk about.

On the other hand, the anti-smoker is a lot of fun. Regardless of the fact that there is almost no public place left where smoking is allowed and the fact that there are fewer and fewer people smoking and smokers are harder and harder to find, the anti-smoker will search high and low for a smoker to complain about, insult or argue with. They are going to continue the hunt until they find one even if it means starting, or participating in, a thread on the internet anonymously.

Ususally they get away with it because it's the politically correct position. I rather see them as a sort of bully these days. I always did have trouble just letting a bully have his way.

Rick, I fully understand. Smoking is difficult to quit, even when the desire to do so is great...

Do you understand? Why not tell us how you came to this "full" understanding.

Not really. Nicotine actually messes with your brain.
When I was in the process of withdrawal after quitting, my brain knew perfectly well that as a stubborn, strong-willed manly man, no amount of "desire" would be successful in getting me to smoke again, so it concocted some very interesting and even bizarre rationalizations, the most convincing of which went something like this...
"You should have a cigarette...
It's the right thing to do.
If you don't have a cigarette, you are a bad person.
Failing to have a cigarette is sinful, evil."
Of course it's ridiculous and pure BS, but the brain will make it real. Fighting back these dillusional thoughts of the addicted brain is the most difficult paft of a successful "quit."
Likewise, before I quit, I can remember coming up with some of the most cockeyed - in retrospect idiotic - reasons and excuses to keep smoking. Now I realize that was an addicted brain fighting for survival.
Realize that when you hear one of these illogical nonsensical rationalizations from a smoker that it is as real as the sunrise to them.
I know... I used 'em all :)
Rick

That's not at all how it was for me. They claim that the physical addiction only lasts a few days and I got off easy there. I was too sick to smoke for several weeks. I couldn't have smoked a cigarette if I wanted to.

By the time I got well, I felt fine and had none of the "wthdrawal symptoms" that I had suffered on previous attempts at quiting. I didn't even eat more...didn't gain an ounce. The only thing that made it hard to refrain is the simple fact that I enjoy it so much. A smoker might smoke many cigarettes out of pure habit and not really enjoy them but there are those few every day that are just such a treat. For example, that first smoke in the morning with a really good cup of coffee is just one of the most enjoyable things on the face of the planet. The plain simple fact is that I wanted that back. Morning just can't ever be the same without it and I was plenty happy with my mornings the way they were. No rationalizations here. If I could limit my use to those half dozen or so/day that I really enjoy, I would never have even considered giving it up.

I have a dive buddy who smokes. And could stand to loose a few pounds. And gets almost no exercise outside of dving.

Out of all of the people I have dived with, this person is my preferred buddy.

Don't get me wrong, I would be absolutely overjoyed if this person would quit smoking, and in general start taking better care of themselves.

But we have been "there" together. We know each other's weak points and strong points, we know that neither of us have any problem calling a dive when it is time, and know that the other will never question that decision. We are both serious about develping and maintaining good dive skills. Neither of us mind letting the other know when we see something that the other needs to change about their diving. This buddy's mental and skill positives are more important to me than whether or not they smoke or are overweight.

Edit: Mike, I only wish that it had been that easy for me. I went through a couple of weeks of not enjoying life very much when I quit.

...that first smoke in the morning with a really good cup of coffee is just one of the most enjoyable things on the face of the planet...
For me that was a hand rolled Manila and a glass of warmed brandy after a good meal of prime rare beef or lamb. I still miss that.
:D
Rick

For me that was a hand rolled Manila and a glass of warmed brandy after a good meal of prime rare beef or lamb. I still miss that.
:D
Rick
It's funny that - for me as well, if I do miss something (and that's not very often) it's a cigar that I fancy. But the thing is I never really used to smoke cigars in the first place! :D How weird is that?

living in New York being a smoker is like having Leprosy i agree the Mike best one of the day is in the morning that is the one i miss the most what i dont miss being able to walk up the stairs, being able to run a couple of miles with ease not goig outside in 20 degrees to have a smoke all in all glad i quite but i do miss it

Back
Top Bottom