Fatal Accident in the Coron Area of the Philippines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

..the total curriculum for wrecks is 2 courses...

I think most agencies have 2 wreck courses - recreational (light zone) and technical (beyond light zone) courses.

RAID have three... which is a curriculum I particularly like. There's a 'basic wreck' (no penetration, 2 dives), then there is 'advanced wreck' (cavern equivalent/light zone penetration, followed by 'technical wreck' (beyond light zone, full cave equivalent).

Most advanced/technical wreck classes require a plethora of technical qualifications as prerequisites (normally around AN/DP or ER level). This differs from cave, whereby the deco aspect is taught in conjunction with the overhead aspect.... and that means more steps needed to be added specifically to the cave curriculum.

In contrast, technical wreck is a separate entity to the decompression. Basic tech prerequisites ensure the student has adequate equipment and protocol knowledge in preparation for the training. Once training is completed... the depth of the wreck environment dived is dictated by the technical qualification held (ER, Trimix etc....)

There are also courses beyond Technical Wreck... dealing with issues like how to pass restrictions properly, stage tank use... and the logistical operations and planning necessary for expeditionary grade technical wreck exploration.

I've just come from Coron having spent a week there late November. I found this thread before I left and it scaresd the living **** out of me. I'm a new OW diver with <10 dives under my belt. I took all my own gear as I'm not comfortable with renting gear at home, letalone in a third world country. Diving there was part of a bigger trip... So not a purpose dive trip.

The first dive was a relatively small wreck site was within OW limits - 18m and no penetration. This was exciting and comfortable.. it felt right. Loved it.

The second dive was a monster wreck. 120m long cargo ship. They are seriously impressive beasts. With that said, it wasn't long before we were pushing 25m depth with the DM indicating to enter the wreck. No way. Already we're too deep and I'm indicating to go up (the other two divers were just as green OW).. but they had no depth gauge/computer... Completely oblivious to the whole lot. The DM agreed after confirming a few times to go up and explore the outside at a more reasonable depth.

Third dive was the same situation as the 2nd - though a swim through presented itself that I did feel comfortable with.

I did dive with a different DM at the same shop who was much better, but still a push for deeper/penetration. He worked out pretty quickly that wasn't going to happen, so I took the opportunity to work on buyouncy skills and control looking around the wrecks.

A group I met up with later also dived in coron with a different shop, and had the same experience. On-top of that, the rental gear was not in good condition with regulators filling with water, DMs exceeding no deco times (one was a rescue diver with watch, and could not get out of the wreck in time to avoid it), and an out of air situation with a green OW diver coming up on the DMs occy.

The diving is great. It's clear people come solely for the wrecks as there wasn't much else around - the marine life is pretty light on... But the term 'coron cowboys' is something that rings true that I heard once in el nido. It seemed to be a bit more measured and responsible on el nido compared to coron, but very comfortable with bending the rules.

I've come back with a definite interest in getting into wreck diving. I've also come back with a healthy fear of overhead due to this thread which will stick with me forever.

Advice I can give? Do what your comfortable with. If it doesn't feel right - ditch the dive. If not the wrecks - go north of the island for the dugongs.

I've just come from Coron having spent a week there late November. I found this thread before I left and it scaresd the living **** out of me. I'm a new OW diver with <10 dives under my belt. I took all my own gear as I'm not comfortable with renting gear at home, letalone in a third world country. Diving there was part of a bigger trip... So not a purpose dive trip.

The first dive was a relatively small wreck site was within OW limits - 18m and no penetration. This was exciting and comfortable.. it felt right. Loved it.

The second dive was a monster wreck. 120m long cargo ship. They are seriously impressive beasts. With that said, it wasn't long before we were pushing 25m depth with the DM indicating to enter the wreck. No way. Already we're too deep and I'm indicating to go up (the other two divers were just as green OW).. but they had no depth gauge/computer... Completely oblivious to the whole lot. The DM agreed after confirming a few times to go up and explore the outside at a more reasonable depth.

Third dive was the same situation as the 2nd - though a swim through presented itself that I did feel comfortable with.

I did dive with a different DM at the same shop who was much better, but still a push for deeper/penetration. He worked out pretty quickly that wasn't going to happen, so I took the opportunity to work on buyouncy skills and control looking around the wrecks.

A group I met up with later also dived in coron with a different shop, and had the same experience. On-top of that, the rental gear was not in good condition with regulators filling with water, DMs exceeding no deco times (one was a rescue diver with watch, and could not get out of the wreck in time to avoid it), and an out of air situation with a green OW diver coming up on the DMs occy.

The diving is great. It's clear people come solely for the wrecks as there wasn't much else around - the marine life is pretty light on... But the term 'coron cowboys' is something that rings true that I heard once in el nido. It seemed to be a bit more measured and responsible on el nido compared to coron, but very comfortable with bending the rules.

I've come back with a definite interest in getting into wreck diving. I've also come back with a healthy fear of overhead due to this thread which will stick with me forever.

Advice I can give? Do what your comfortable with. If it doesn't feel right - ditch the dive. If not the wrecks - go north of the island for the dugongs.

GOOD on you for knowing what your limits and comfort level are and communicating that with the DM and holding your ground. I applaud you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom