Fatality Off Miami Beach - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divers are supposed to b e educated, what is happening is that instructors are being lazy and not ensuring the student is proficient in all the required skills.

until said instructors stop being lazy stupid divers who should not be certified will continue to be stupid and die.

I just took the Padi OW Course. There was nothing in the course about the differances in procedures in differant areas.

did your ow instructor mention anything about diving in different places would be different?

I just took the Padi OW Course. There was nothing in the course about the differances in procedures in differant areas.

One would need to be extremely self-centered or incredibly obtuse to think that ANYTHING will be the done the exact same way in varying parts of the world

Then you know PADI is modular....they certify you first to be ok in limited conditions, then have MANY SPECIALTIES you really do NEED.... Boat diver, Deep Diver, Wreck Diver, Shore Diver(?), Night Diver, and if you take enough of these, you can be an "Unsupervised Diver" :)

I am sure your instructor made it clear you really would be better off taking several of the specialties.... many years ago, ALL OF THESE were included in basic open water, but in today's climate of marketing, this was seen as a poor business model.

did your ow instructor mention anything about diving in different places would be different?

No mention of it. I learned how to dive in Thailand and then went to Mexico. If I had gone to Florida I would have been suprised by the differances.

"c'mon...use your brain. Do you really think that ANYTHING will be the done the exact same way in varying parts of the world?"

Some of you guys blow me away with your arrogance. Human beings are fallible. They forget, miscalculate, are misinformed, make mistakes, make poor judgements, get into situations over their heads. It can happen to anyone --even you.

until you get as far north as Fort Pierce, where you may need to be 20 miles from shore, good vis is 15 feet, and the current is so strong that both divers need to hang on to the float line at 200 feet deep, or one gets dragged away from the other....

Heck, I dove the Spiegel a few years back. The current was ripping so hard that we did our stops hanging on the line completely horizontal. Like flags in the wind. And then got hooked on the hand by an old fishing hook. Trilobite saved the day.Yes, Florida can be challenging.

Yes it does but I am not naive and think divi g I China, kuwait, Florida and Canada will all be the same.

Sent from my pasture using Tabableet 2

Instruction is clearly watered down from earlier times. I don't have a problem with that. I admit my OW was basically the two weekend course, one day class, one day pool, 4 dives over two days. Basically the bare minimum. At that point it is up to the newly certified diver to understand their capabilities and limits. My training was fine to then go on tropical dives in easy water led by a DM on 6 pack boat. To be a self reliant diver for local SoCal dives I needed more training and more experience under the guidance of qualified divers (professional or not). I do think the industry in some of its marketing makes it seem too much like a Disneyland ride where all the safety has been thought out for you and all you need to do is strap on the equipment and jump in and you will be okay. In the easiest conditions with nearby supervision maybe, but with just a few added difficulties maybe not.

One would need to be extremely self-centered or incredibly obtuse to think that ANYTHING will be the done the exact same way in varying parts of the world

Fairly stupid comment by your there, helped along nicely but poor choice of words. Obtuse? Self-centered? Hmm.

When I started diving and started going to different places by myself I was bewildered with the different ways different shops did stuff. I've enough dives now under my belt to at least ask how they do things and also challenge them if I'm not happy with the drill.

But for newer divers, without the confidence to ask or challenge, it can be confusing and daunting.

Calling it obtuse and self-centered reflects more on your mentality rather than the OP or the reality of diving different places. Of which from looking at your profile you've not done a lot.

John

Fairly stupid comment by your there, helped along nicely but poor choice of words. Obtuse? Self-centered? Hmm.

When I started diving and started going to different places by myself I was bewildered with the different ways different shops did stuff. I've enough dives now under my belt to at least ask how they do things and also challenge them if I'm not happy with the drill.

But for newer divers, without the confidence to ask or challenge, it can be confusing and daunting.

Calling it obtuse and self-centered reflects more on your mentality rather than the OP or the reality of diving different places. Of which from looking at your profile you've not done a lot.

John

I will agree with you that i worded things poorly but I am not talking about diving i am talking about anything in life. So bringing up my diving experience is entirely irrelevant.

Things are different in different places. It is a pretty basic concept. We drive on the right in the states...not so in other parts of the world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom