Fatality Off Miami Beach - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

New people, by definition, don't know the drill. Let's stop talking about this, it's boring me and no doubt others. And anyway you're wrong.

no, you are wrong but I will stop if you stop.

;-)

New people, by definition, don't know the drill. Let's stop talking about this, it's boring me and no doubt others. And anyway you're wrong.

Wow. So you're right and everyone else is wrong...discussion over?

Ha. Not surprising. So it goes in Internet forums.

I ask questions before i enter any activity I am not familiar with. It seems like the prudent think to do in my mind. If you feel otherwise that is fine but nobody is right or wrong here. That is silly. The point is to try to prevent something that is easily preventable from happening from ever happening again.

Wow. So you're right and everyone else is wrong...discussion over?

Ha. Not surprising. So it goes in Internet forums.

I ask questions before i enter any activity I am not familiar with. It seems like the prudent think to do in my mind. If you feel otherwise that is fine but nobody is right or wrong here. That is silly. The point is to try to prevent something that is easily preventable from happening from ever happening again.

apparently that makes us idiots for asking questions.

I am going back to the pub where the likes of Cacia and adurso makes sense ;-)

Ok so I've a sore point with this. It's true, I do. I think it's the responsibility of divers (DMs or not) to help their juniors. In many tropical settings I see little evidence of this. In temperate climes even less so but ppl generally there know how to dive.

Anyhow I agree that in an ideal world with decent training that divers should be able to take responsibility. But this is not the world of some popular training agencies.

Even after having done 400+ dives I appreciate when going on a new boat or chartered by a new op those that provide lots of info on the website about how they do things and appreciate well informed boat and dive briefings. I actually can't imagine being like this lady and having all the instructions in a language I don't understand.

It's easy now to just roll with different procedures but when you are new not so easy because it's still all unfamiliar.

Ok so I've a sore point with this. It's true, I do. I think it's the responsibility of divers (DMs or not) to help their juniors. In many tropical settings I see little evidence of this. In temperate climes even less so but ppl generally there know how to dive.

Anyhow I agree that in an ideal world with decent training that divers should be able to take responsibility. But this is not the world of some popular training agencies.

Amen Brother--I am with you.

I completely agree with you but I think with the reverse logic. The way that i see it...In an ideal world fellow divers should be so altruistic and look out for their fellow divers amongst them to make sure all is kosher.

I guess i just have a more cynical view on life maybe in that I do not believe that will happen. As you even said, this behavior is a rarety.

Last edited:

I have a question for the experts. In many professions and organizations there is an ethic, a code of conduct that members pledge to. Is there an ethic and code of conduct in the dive community or the dive profession?

I have a question for the experts. In many professions and organizations there is an ethic, a code of conduct that members pledge to. Is there an ethic and code of conduct in the dive community or the dive profession?

I am no expert but I think there is an informal code to do what you can to help a diver in distress. But part of that code is also to make sure there isn't a second fatality. I'd say part of the code is also that divers are competent and capable of taking care of themselves. It's an obligation of any diver to only make dives you are qualified to make, otherwise you put others at risk.

Back
Top Bottom