Fatality Off Miami Beach - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just took the Padi OW Course. There was nothing in the course about the differances in procedures in differant areas.

Simply not true.

If you did the course work through the book and the knowledge reviews, you had to answer several questions in the knowledge reviews, quizzes, and exams that stress the fact that diving is different in different places and that you should acquire local knowledge when diving under new conditions. If you like, I will quote them all in here. If you took the academic portion online, the material is there as well, but I don't have access to the questions to quote them.

Simply not true.

If you did the course work through the book and the knowledge reviews, you had to answer several questions in the knowledge reviews, quizzes, and exams that stress the fact that diving is different in different places and that you should acquire local knowledge when diving under new conditions. If you like, I will quote them all in here. If you took the academic portion online, the material is there as well, but I don't have access to the questions to quote them.

:popcorn:

Sent from my pasture using Tabableet 2

Simply not true.

I will have to go back and re-read the book. I don't doubt your right.

Simply not true.

Quote away and I'd like to hear/remember. The simple fact remains that a lot of places do things very differently and for a newer diver this can be daunting. Often times one shop's practices will actually contradict another's.

Personally I wouldn't blame this at all on any syllabus. But I do think shops should spell out how they run their op rather than expecting telepathy to do the job. This applies particularly for newer divers that may already be a little anxious.

John

The simple fact that that if you are to sheepish to stand up and say hey I don't understand, maybe you do not need to be diving, or participqting in an activity that when you feel uncomfortable with something it could cost a life. In the case in this thread the poor women did die. If she had only stood up and said "wtf" maybe she would still be alive today.

~john

The simple fact that that if you are to sheepish to stand up and say hey I don't understand, maybe you do not need to be diving, or participqting in an activity that when you feel uncomfortable with something it could cost a life. In the case in this thread the poor women did die. If she had only stood up and said "wtf" maybe she would still be alive today.

~john

THIS...but unfortunately, that seems to be too harsh of a realization for some.

if something is daunting to me and I feel over my head I either don't do it or I do whatever needs to be done in order to rectify the situation so that it is no longer daunting.

I do not wait, hope or expect anyone else to do this for me. This applies to diving and everything else. To risk your life doing something b/c you are uncomfortable speaking up is incredibly foolish.

Although the course does say that diving is different in different places, I will also say that for a new diver, the differences can be really surprising. I have my own memories to show me that.

After certification, I did all my dives for the first couple of years of my diving life in Cozumel, where the DM sets your gear up for you and leads the dive. Then I did a dive in South Florida. I got my gear on the boat, and as the boat headed out, I sat quietly waiting for the DM to come over and set things up for me. It was a while before it dawned on me that I was on my own. (Let me see now, how do I do this again?) When it got time for me to get in the water, I was again surprised to find out that there was not going to be a DM in the water.

So I was unprepared for the differences. It was not because I was afraid to ask--it was because I did not know there were differences to ask about.

I assure you that there are people who get their OW and then dive for year after year after year in places where DMs set up their gear and lead their dives. It is not surprising that they think that is how it is done everywhere. It is not surprising that when they come to a place where it is different, they have forgotten their initial training on gear setup and dive planning.

As an instructor, I have on several occasions had students tell me that their experienced diver friends assured them that once they had passed the final exam, they could forget all of that dive planning stuff, because in the real world the DM does all of that for you.

~john

Meanwhile in the real world ....

---------- Post added March 14th, 2013 at 10:03 PM ----------

THIS...but unfortunately, that seems to be too harsh of a realization for some.

if something is daunting to me and I feel over my head I either don't do it or I do whatever needs to be done in order to rectify the situation so that it is no longer daunting.

I do not wait, hope or expect anyone else to do this for me. This applies to diving and everything else. To risk your life doing something b/c you are uncomfortable speaking up is incredibly foolish.

And you were all over this by dive 20 were you?

---------- Post added March 14th, 2013 at 10:09 PM ----------

Although the course does say that diving is different in different places, I will also say that for a new diver, the differences can be really surprising. I have my own memories to show me that.

After certification, I did all my dives for the first couple of years of my diving life in Cozumel, where the DM sets your gear up for you and leads the dive. Then I did a dive in South Florida. I got my gear on the boat, and as the boat headed out, I sat quietly waiting for the DM to come over and set things up for me. It was a while before it dawned on me that I was on my own. (Let me see now, how do I do this again?) When it got time for me to get in the water, I was again surprised to find out that there was not going to be a DM in the water.

So I was unprepared for the differences. It was not because I was afraid to ask--it was because I did not know there were differences to ask about.

I assure you that there are people who get their OW and then dive for year after year after year in places where DMs set up their gear and lead their dives. It is not surprising that they think that is how it is done everywhere. It is not surprising that when they come to a place where it is different, they have forgotten their initial training on gear setup and dive planning.

As an instructor, I have on several occasions had students tell me that their experienced diver friends assured them that once they had passed the final exam, they could forget all of that dive planning stuff, because in the real world the DM does all of that for you.

Precisely. The differences can be very granular also. Surface underneath the ladder. For god's sake don't surface underneath the ladder. Shoot a bag. No need to shoot a bag. Follow the guide. There is no guide. Dive with buddy. Dive solo. Dive with random family. Stow kit this way. That way. Small differences but at the start it is daunting and stupid comments like 'if you don't have the confidence to challenge or ask' are just nonsensical.

Ops should (and often do) set out their stall for how they roll. This should be ubiquitous. It makes everything smoother.

John

if the real world you live in filled with people who just go with things when they don't understand rather then asking, I guess it would make sense that you would blindly follow.

if the real world you live in filled with people who just go with things when they don't understand rather then asking, I guess it would make sense that you would blindly follow.

New people, by definition, don't know the drill. Let's stop talking about this, it's boring me and no doubt others. And anyway you're wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom