Favorite reel for use with dry gloves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’m diving a mine with 50F water that requires use of dry gloves. I’ve been using a Dive Rite classic reel that I’ve had for a while. Not particularly fond of it as it rat’s nests easily. What’s your favorite reel for use with dry gloves? I don’t need a huge one. 140ft is more than enough for running a guideline from open water to tie into main guideline.

I like the Dive Rite slide lock 250'. One handed locking operation, and the snap is permanently attached to the reel and can't come off. I've seen double enders drop the light monkey reels to the ocean floor.
Dive Rite Slide Lock Primary 250' (76.2m) Reel

DGX and Dive Rite’s website now show a double ended on the slide lock. I don’t trust double enders.

You can just buy shackle bolt snap when you purchase your reel from DGX. Or just tie a standard bolt snap to it.

DGX and Dive Rite’s website now show a double ended on the slide lock. I don’t trust double enders.
I don't either. The ones I have are as pictured with the integrated snap.

You can just buy shackle bolt snap when you purchase your reel from DGX. Or just tie a standard bolt snap to it.

I’d probably just tie one to it. I’m using thicker liners now (Fourth Element G1) and while warmer, I’ve lost some dexterity. Had a difficult time with the regular sized snap on my DR classic reel yesterday.

I replace the double ender on the DR Slide Lock reels with a large side bolt snap tied on the hole.

You could always just replace it with a bolt snap or a bolt snap with shackle. Either put the shackle through the hole in the handle (like they used to sell it) or tie a regular bolt snap on with cave line. Depending upon how paranoid you are, it would probably be better to tie it on with cave line so you could cut the link if the system is under tension and you need to free yourself (i.e., no metal-to-metal connections).

I agree that a double ender can be problematic but it is beneficial to be able to remove it when using the reel and I don't see how that would work with a bolt snap.

I use a loop of bungee cord and loop it around. Not that it cannot happen, but I've never had the gate open up and lose the reel. I've attached a picture. The bungee helps absorb the shock and reduces the likelihood that the gate is going to get pried open.

IMG_9414.jpg

IMO, the bigger issue with the Dive Rite reels is the clearance between the spool and the cross bar (another picture attached). If you don't keep constant tension on the line, I've had the line "slip through" the gap and get fouled up. I don't know why the gap is so much. I could use a much thicker line, but that doesn't make sense.

IMG_9415.jpg

I bought a Light Monkey reel because of this but haven't really had a chance to use it yet. See picture of the clearance / gap on that reel.

IMG_9416.jpg

- brett

Fellow Great Lakes Diver....

I like my Light Monkey reel.....

The way the "bolt snap hole" is made, it is a fairly secure connection.

I do use the biggest bolt snaps (well, all snaps) I can get for the cold and my big-ish hands....

I like it!

YMMV

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom