FB posting - standards violations - how many can you pick out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who’s standards? There are many ways to dive, any casualties?

You don’t believe a class needs to stick to published standards for max depth, gear configuration, and instructor/student ratio?

It appears these students just added a deco bottle and maybe long hose to standard recreational gear. No redundancy for a 180ft dive. :facepalm:Published NAUI standards are max depth of 150ft.

I dive an air2 (actually, an SS1) on every rig I own. I have dives you are still thinking about. I'm not dead.

So you consider this whole cluster of a class to be acceptable?

So you consider this whole cluster of a class to be acceptable?
I don't take offense to things I'm not either participating in nor when they don't affect me personally.

I didn't have him as a customer on my trips.

I am not likely to dive with his students, as they will either be out of diving or dead before I ever let a new person into my tech diving friends group. Or I will have quit diving by then myself.

I tech dive solo, with a group of friends. We all dive solo, with each other, if you get it.

I have no time to be offended by things that don't matter to me.

Unless I'm blatantly misreading the tdi standards, single tank appears to be allowed along with standard "BC"s. Also while I'm not sure of tdi standards for sites, IANTD requires a site where a deeper depth than planned for is reachable. Maybe the divers stayed mid water to abide by requirements. Does this kind of diving make me uncomfortable? Absolutely. However I think mandating full technical gear for :introductory tech " classes such as this isn't a great idea either. These divers look like 99% of the spear fishermen I know who are doing dives like this all the time. Works for them but I'll sure as hell never do it.

You don’t believe a class needs to stick to published standards for max depth, gear configuration, and instructor/student ratio?

It appears these students just added a deco bottle and maybe long hose to standard recreational gear. No redundancy for a 180ft dive. :facepalm:Published NAUI standards are max depth of 150ft.
I have no issue with people who want to dive by arbitrary “standards” nor with people who don’t.
I dove the San Francisco Maru, single tank (80) with an Atomic octo inflator and join Wookie in not being dead.

I have no time to be offended by things that don't matter to me.

Wookie, if more people thought like that the internet would collapse overnight. That's what it's for. :wink:

Now, can't we get back to important stuff, like debating about the Peloton ad?

Seriously, that does look like a goat rope and if it's all true, then clearly the instructor has some explaining. One thing for divers to break rules. Another for an instructor to teach them that way.

Not being dead often reinforces normalization of deviance. We all wear big boy/girl pants. We can dive however we choose based upon the level of risk we wish to accept. When it comes to teaching, then there is a responsibility to teach within one's agency. Different instructors have different ethics when it comes to teaching. It is a matter of personal pride to many instructors that their students will be solid divers and reflect positively on them. For others, they just want to collect the fees. Students often have difficulty distinguishing between the extreme ends of the spectrum. Normalization of deviance places into that, as they've been diving that way "for decades" and have "thousands of dives".

Not being dead often reinforces normalization of deviance. We all wear big boy/girl pants. We can dive however we choose based upon the level of risk we wish to accept. When it comes to teaching, then there is a responsibility to teach within one's agency. Different instructors have different ethics when it comes to teaching. It is a matter of personal pride to many instructors that their students will be solid divers and reflect positively on them. For others, they just want to collect the fees. Students often have difficulty distinguishing between the extreme ends of the spectrum. Normalization of deviance places into that, as they've been diving that way "for decades" and have "thousands of dives".
Do you think my choice of using an air2 as an inflator is accepting deviance? Is my Air2, like my split fins and my spare air going to kill me? FTR, I don't use a spare air or split fins, but I do dive with a 13 ft3 pony, every dive, which will get me almost to the surface on those very deep dives.

I have to figure out the rest of the way on my own.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom