Fear Of Narcosis

Fear Of Narcosis

• My instructor taught me to fear narcosis beyond 100'/30m.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My instructor taught me to be concerned about narcosis beyond 100'/30m.

Votes: 41 73.2%
  • My instructor taught me to be concerned about narcosis beyond 130'/40m.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • My instructor taught me to be aware of narcosis beyond 130'/40m.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • My instructor taught me narcosis only happens to some people below 130'/40m..

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My instructor said he's never been narc'd so don't worry about it.

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was instructed to be aware of the possibility at depths approaching 100' but with the idea that it could vary from day to day and dive to dive with the possibility that the effects could be more or less on any dive. Not sure concerned is an accurate term in this case but I chose #2 as it best fits how I was trained.

I was certified in 1976, back when "Martini's Law" was still used as an example of how narcosis effects divers. I vaguely remember 100' being what our instructor mentioned as a approximate depth to "watch for narcosis", but that it could begin to effect some divers at shallower depths.

I begin to be effected somewhere just past 60 - 70', am quite "happy" (as if I'd had a few strong drinks) at 150', and "dumb as a sea cucumber" at 200' on air. Meaning at 200' I can monitor my depth and time and remain somewhat aware of my surroundings, but not a whole lot else. God save me if a true emergency occured at that depth, my mind would work too slowly to solve any but the simplest problem.

So my "safe working depth" may be bit shallower than other divers, and maybe a little deeper than others. We are all different, so I'd be hesitant to use 100' as a hard line in the sand.... I begin to monitor myself at shallower depths, and really try to be vigilant as I near 100'.

But I don't see narcosis as something to "fear".

Narcosis is worthy of very healthy respect and caution due to the potential impairment it can cause, but should not inspire fear, any more than the bends should cause fear.... we all know how to avoid both.

Best wishes.

In my open water class, we were taught that narcosis was an issue on deeper dives. We spent a lot more time on DCS.

In my advanced open water class, we went down to 100 feet and did math problems, and I did fine. I couldn't see red, though . . .

In my Fundies class, the instructor told a personal story of screwing something up at 100 feet that he would NEVER have done shallower. It made a distinct impression on me, not leaving fear, but caution and prudence.

I have since had several personal experiences with what narcosis does to me at 100 feet on Nitrox, and although I wouldn't use the word "fear", I am adamant that I will not ever again put myself in a position to be that impaired in a cave.

I still subscribe to "Martini's Law". I'm confident that I don't think as clearly at 50 feet as at 20 feet. I've been to 150 and didn't notice anything crazy but a picture I took of my gauges there has a lot of information I didn't remember seeing at depth.

I have had 3 instructors.
1. PADI OW: Narcosis happens,martini's law proposed
2.SSI Nitrox: 02 may help avoid narcosis
3.IANTD Adv: Nitrox,Deep Air and Tri-Mix Narcosis is subjective and variable,it can be avoided.02 is likely narcotic.Compared skills at depth on air and HE.I work efficiently to 160' or so on air as documented on video but I am increasingly uncomfortable as depth increases.I don't go past 180' by choice unless on Mix.

DCS is my main worry as well.

No answers applicable for me I'm afraid. I was taught to be aware that Narcosis can occur below 3.4ATA, but not to be concerned or fearful about it.

Last edited:
We touched into narcosis but it wasn't something that we were supposed to fear, it was more something to be aware of and he explained the dangers.
He told us some people feel it at 80 feet and some beyond 130"

My magic number is 150'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom