"Felt" bikes...anybody know anything?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
Hey, moon, thanks.. What do the tire savers actually do?

So, you are thinking I extra need a helmet on THIS bike? Yes, I have a helmet.
What happens when you run over little pieces of glass is that they don't immediately puncture the tire/tube. The glass gets pressed in further each revolution.

Tire savers work by scraping off the glass. When I rode road bikes - years ago - flat tires were almost an everyday thing. However after installing a set of cheap tire savers (not the fancy ones in my link) flats became rare.

Also I'd get a frame pump to go under your top bar and some stick on patches. You might also need some tire levers as it can be a pain in the bum to remove a road bike's tire from the rim.

Lube is another thing - chains want to be lubricated and don't you dare use oil. There are some nice products specifically for bike chains. It's just a pet peeve of mine when I ride around and hear that god-awful squeak of unlubed chains.

okay, thanks, I will. JB says to get a foot pump and check the pressure before ride.

JB keeps telling me "and don't run over stuff".

But, their is a LOT of stuff, I notice last night. Those tires are teeny. I am just

paranoid about getting tossed into traffic from a blow-out. I am definetly not

comfortable with the traffic. So, tell me the truth...the bike was 500 dollars, do you

think I should have bought a new one, or does this look like a good start? (it was

slightly used by a guy in Beverly Hills who rode it once in the AIDS ride) They say it

has top de-railers and he put new bars and saddle on it. tires too.

I am having a bit of trouble getting systematic with the gears. Right now, i am just

feeling my way through, but the front sprocket and rear one are causing me some

confusuion. Like that one thing you are supposed to avoid that puts the chain at

an angle...

Do I need some find of little mirror?

catherine96821:
okay, thanks, I will. JB says to get a foot pump and check the pressure before ride.

JB keeps telling me "and don't run over stuff".

But, their is a LOT of stuff, I notice last night. Those tires are teeny. I am just

paranoid about getting tossed into traffic from a blow-out. I am definetly not

comfortable with the traffic. So, tell me the truth...the bike was 500 dollars, do you

think I should have bought a new one, or does this look like a good start? (it was

slightly used by a guy in Beverly Hills who rode it once in the AIDS ride) They say it

has top de-railers and he put new bars and saddle on it. tires too.

I am having a bit of trouble getting systematic with the gears. Right now, i am just

feeling my way through, but the front sprocket and rear one are causing me some

confusuion. Like that one thing you are supposed to avoid that puts the chain at

an angle...

Do I need some find of little mirror?
Used at a good price is good :)

Personally I prefer ATB / mountain bikes, the tires are wider and your head is up. Makes it easier for me navigating around town.

Things about road bikes:
[1] Not much can make the tires slip - i.e. a little sand. So banking a curve, you can take a fall if you hit just a little sand.

I'd suggest you find somewhere flatish and without much traffic to become used to the bike for a while. Riding in heavy traffic can be like diving in heavy current - not for the newbie and with similar issues.

yes. I just returned (tsunami alarm going off) from a twelve mile ride and I noticed that.

I went to my son's school and planned to ride a big loop that runs along the outside of the track. I got bored after two laps and headed into traffic.

1) It was fun! It was scarey! I liked passing cars! I averaged about 15 miles an hour.

2) You get a very intimate knowledge of the pavement conditions. The patch where the pitch suddenly changed was a bit freaky. Fresh pavement is good. Potholes are bad.

3) My bike is racier than I am. Funny, I never noticed vehicles reversing for cyclists at intersections before, maybe they do and then again, maybe they were worried about their cars.

4) I have a new appreciation for the nuances of traffic at intersections.

5) My stresspoint was my neck. I usually have no neck issues.

6) I never sweat, even on the treadmill. Today, I sweat a lot. I think it was a good workout because the attention to the details kept my mind occupied.

7) I am not ready to drink from the bottle while riding yet!

I think I am going to like this.

Is this the first time you've really ridden your new bike?

no, I bought it in Beverly Hills and rode it the week I was there while by daughter recouped at the hotel, near the Santa Monica bike path.

DSCF0009-1.jpg

Nice looking bike. Congrats! You'll have a blast. I always carry a spare tube, mini-pump and tool kit with me on rides. I can pretty much take care of any problem with these three things. My tool kit also contain's extra patches and quarters for phone calls if I can't fix something.

A couple things to remember with road bikes - like it was stated earlier, you really need to slow to a crawl when turning in sand. When riding in the street watch out for pot holes and sewer grates. Sewer grates will send you flying. And so will railroad tracks. Always cross tracks perpendicular to the tracks, never on the same angle. Your tire will slide into the groove in the track and send you flying. If there is a route you think you want to ride you can drive it in your car to make sure it looks safe for a bike.

You'll get the hang of shifting soon enough. STI levers are really nice to ride with. And it's always a good idea to change hand position every now and again, as well as stand up every ten minutes or so. Standing will keep the blood flowing and changing hand positions will help work different muscles, giving others a rest.

Have fun!

Also make sure your inside pedal is UP on banked turns - otherwise you can be sent over the handlebars instantly. You learn this once in life :)

Hitting potholes on a road bike can damage the rim. Best avoid them.

Glad to hear you're having fun with your new sport :)

thanks fellas. I am not doing any banking. I want to know a couple things...

Should I use rear brake mostly?

Is there a system to changing gears? I can look it up if there is....

bladephotog:
I always carry a spare tube, mini-pump and tool kit with me on rides. I can pretty much take care of any problem with these three things. My tool kit also contain's extra patches and quarters for phone calls if I can't fix something.

A couple things to remember with road bikes - like it was stated earlier, you really need to slow to a crawl when turning in sand. When riding in the street watch out for pot holes and sewer grates. Sewer grates will send you flying. And so will railroad tracks. Always cross tracks perpendicular to the tracks, never on the same angle. Your tire will slide into the groove in the track and send you flying. If there is a route you think you want to ride you can drive it in your car to make sure it looks safe for a bike.

Have fun!

Catherine,

Ditto bladephotog's recommendation about a spare tube and pump (although I prefer a full-size frame pump but that is just personal preference) In addition here are a few more tips:

- always wear your skid lid. You never know when you'll need it.
- get a small bag for under your bike seat that will hold a spare tube or two, tube patch kit, tire levers, etc. Carry some change in your seat bag for phone call and a few one dollar bills because they can sometimes be used to do a temporary repair to get you down the road if you cut a tire. After you trash your first tire you can cut several small pieces of it and add to your bag to repair larger cuts when necessary.
- use a floor/foot pump every 3-4 days to keep you tires fully inflated. Low pressure tires are more susceptible to flats because they tend to pick up more sharp objects.
- buy tires re-inforced with Kevlar. Forte GT2 Kevlar Road Tire is an example:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=4664&item=50-0219&slitrk=search&slisearch=true

- add tire liners. Spin Skins Kevlar Road Tire Liners is one possibility

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=954&item=00-7546&slitrk=search&slisearch=true

- avoid kiawe thorns if you can. They were the bane of my bicycle commuting days on Oahu.
- painted road striping and cross walks are also very slick when wet. Try to cross they as close to perpendicular as possible.
- always carry some typ of ID (homemade is fine) with you name, doctor's name and #, emergency POC's name and #, blood type, etc and hope you never need it.

That's a nice you bike you have there. Enjoy it and ride safe.

Rickg

Back
Top Bottom