"Felt" bikes...anybody know anything?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My hands are probably on the hoods (shifters) about 75% of the time, 15% on the flats and 10% in the drops. If the blistering continues, you can try a pair of mountain bike gloves, as their full finger.

I agree. I spend most of my time on the hoods.

Treat your hands like your butt. Too long in one position and you are going to get sore.

Just don't let it discourage you. You need time to adapt and toughen up. I got rashes, blisters, and soreness in all kinds of crazy places.

Ask marathon runners about raw nipples some time..... Yes, it is a common problem. Watch the first timers, that don't know about it, when they run in at the finish. Those red streaks on their shirts weren't there when they started.

Chafing can be prevented by applying zinc oxide or vaseline. I don't like the greasiness so I use a rub on product called Body glide (works great). Some sports tape might help for odd blister spots too. Or duct tape....(what can't it be used for?)

One thing to check with your hand blisters is to make sure that the stem (the thing that holds the handlebars to your fork) isn't too long. If it's too long, you'll be really stretched out and that might tend to put more weight/pressure on your hands than you should. But definitely change your hand position as you ride. That's one of the best things about drop handlebars - lots of hand positions.

-Frank

great help.

I think maybe part of the handlebars doesn't fit me right. If I place my hands on the shifters, too much weight feels like it is resting on the tender spot between your thumb "crotch" between your index and thumb base.

Yes, need to check the stem. Because the seat some say might be a tad low. Something is funky with the weight on my thumb. Doesn't feel like the right spot for a pressure point. I need to get pedal clips. I just wanted to start off being able to jump off because the traffic sort of pyches me out. But, I am loving it.

Been riding all kinds of bikes since I was 5. A year ago I bought the Felt SR 91 ($500). By far the most awesome bike I've ever had. Incredibly fast and responsive. Best machine for commuting/workout you could imagine.

Once you get used to clipless pedals, you won't to ride with anything else (unless you're running errands).

Also, if er, chafing, is a problem, there is a lovely product called Chamois Butt'r. It's fantastic stuff for the longer rides.

If you haven't been checked out by a pro bike fitter, I would do that. It sounds like you could benefit from having someone who specializes in bike fitting to examine your position.

Alternately, you could prop yourself against a wall and have someone take some photos of you and we can all chime in with our $.02! That may be a less useful idea.

catherine96821:
I am not a cyclist but I want to start riding to the Ko-Ko-marina about 5 miles or less away.

I know that this sounds extreme, but within 3 months riding once a week you can work your way up to 75+ miles.

Surly:
Alternately, you could prop yourself against a wall and have someone take some photos of you and we can all chime in with our $.02!

Are you trying to turn this place into Slowtwitch?? :D

-Frank

What is Slowtwitch?

75 miles? haaa...I doubt it 75 a week is more like it. I am doing about 8/day now. FLAT.

It never appealed to me. Funny how much fun it is. Why is it so fun?
I am even getting into the obstacle course mental part of not getting hit by a car. Or not hitting a car!

I am really appreciative of drivers that give you the nod that says "I see you, come on through". How considerate.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/ of course! ;-)

"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." ~H.G. Wells

Or perhaps:

"The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community." ~Ann Strong

Part of riding safely with traffic is committing to the idea that you are PART of traffic and have the RIGHT to be there. If you ride alongside cars, you stand a better chance of being hit. That doesn't mean you get to channel your inner bike messenger...but it does mean that you are not a second class citizen on the road.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom