Female Commercial Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Becky Goodwin

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Ok, so I'm quite happy where I'm at right now as far as diving goes.

But in a few years, I really, really want to be a Commercial Diver, earn a good living and do what I love. I'm unsure on the exact field yet, but I'll work it out!

Can anybody give me an insight on what it's like to be a commercial diver (especially females), is it very much a man's world? Just tell me everything you know :) I am going to head over the border to Scotland at some point soon and do a 'try-dive' with the equipment and complete some underwater tasks to get a feel of what to expect. I want to challenge myself in life and work hard to the best of my potential so I'm willing to just go for it!

https://sphotos-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/q71/1013956_10151534454828823_1524022099_n.jpg

(Me and a Commercial Diver, I wish I had his job!)

With all due respect,physical demands, there will be your challenge. This type of work has little, or nothing to do with scuba.
Making a good living ??? Check out the offshore diver site for some great info, and Good Luck.

Divers and Rig workers can be brutal to newbees, yes women do it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the negativity.

It's ok, I've found a thread relating to female commercial divers, and they're not all built like blokes. Also, I didn't say this was like scuba did I?

I think that first response points straight at the problem you're going to have.... being taken seriously by sexist men.

My father worked in mining and other related industries for 40 years. It was a man's world in much the same way that commercial diving is. In the early '80's his company started hiring women for the first time (due to anti-discrimination legislation)

His attitude (granted, he's old school so don't shoot the messenger) was that women had to "prove" that they could do the work where as a man would have "benefit of the doubt" coming out of the gate. In other words, it was assumed that a man could do the job until he proved otherwise and it was assumed that a woman couldn't do the job until she proved otherwise..... This might not be the case everywhere but I suspect that this attitude hasn't changed much since the 80's in a lot of work places.

That said, once a woman proved that she could cut it they were accepted as one of the boys. In fact, the one colleague of my father's who he one told me he had the most respect for was a woman. Was that because of her gender? No. It was because, in his words, "when you assign her a job, it's done, done right, and done on time." In other words, when the job was in focus, nobody could have cared less that it was a woman calling the shots.

I once asked her about this (she was a personal friend of my mother's) and she just said, "leading men is easy. If you say "jump" and they don't say "how high" then you raise your voice at them and make sure they know who the boss is.... in fact, it's a lot like training dogs." :D

The industries you'll be looking at (I know a little about it from my own background, but not about the diving part) appeal to a certain type of individual. If the following three statements are something that you really, deeply, in your heart believe are an integral part of your personality then you'll probably have, in terms of character, "the right stuff".

- the job comes first. Before family, before friends, before hobbies and even God can be put on hold if the boss orders it.
- results matter. Anything you do to get in the way of results makes you a liability. End of discussion.
- *what* is said matters more than *how* it is said. So you need a hide that can absorb some verbal abuse. Men in these kinds of environments are accustomed to communicating very directly with one another. There are risks involved in heavy industry and depending on the particular context, literally every single one of your experienced colleagues may have carried the dead body of a co-worker out of the pit at some point. Safety is an obsession and anything you do that needs "correcting" is going to be "corrected" with a sledge hammer as opposed to the kind of "neck massage" you might get in an office environment.

Of course, that's pretty "black and white" but you should get the basic idea of what it will take to get along.

As for the diving part, others are a lot better positioned to discuss that than I am. What I *do* konw about the diving is that the diving is a means to an end. You won't be a "diver who welds", you'll be a "welder who dives". That's the attitude it's going to take to get a job. You'll need to have those industry related skills sorted coming in because it won't matter if you can dive like Cousteau himself if you can't do anything useful once you're down there.

R..

You should try to contact cbliss85. She started working for an outfit in the U. S. Gulf of Mexico area. Granted you'll get the American version as opposed to the UK version. I think the industry over there is a lot safer than the Wild West In the Gulf.

I'm and inland diver and know zero female commercial divers that existed after dive school. Not to be negative but it's just kinda how it is.

I know of exactly 6 working female divers. Three of these I have worked with over the years. These were "working" divers, not research, agency or inspection divers. Two of the three were good at what they did. Clearly, in a male-dominated industry, this took some extra effort. Yes, it can be done. But, in an industry where the attrition rate for men is off the charts, as a woman you'll have your work cut out for you. If you want to do it, then get after it. Keep in mind that dive school ain't cheap. Then, the dues paying period while you strive to establish yourself is an arduous and thankless time of verbal abuse, physical punishment and zero credit. Like I said, the attrition rate is sky high. In an average class size of 30 people, there might be one or two left in the business after ten years. Less, if no hurricanes come along to increase the available work for the GOM offshore market. As was mentioned, the oilfield is a rough place. Far more genteel is the civil or "inland" market. But, there is more competition and a greater variety of quality. The offshore oil diving companies will hire and go through a lot of people. The standards are higher for safety and quality of workmanship. The inland companies run the full range, from little garage-band fly-by-nighters that operate out of the bed of a pickup truck, all the way up to full scale professional construction companies. If you want it, go get it. As with any other profession, the cream eventually floats.

... What I *do* konw about the diving is that the diving is a means to an end. You won't be a "diver who welds", you'll be a "welder who dives". That's the attitude it's going to take to get a job. You'll need to have those industry related skills sorted coming in because it won't matter if you can dive like Cousteau himself if you can't do anything useful once you're down there.

R..

2nd the above.

Diving is like riding the bus to work, you get paid for the work not the diving.

All the best in your career choice.

They say a dive hat is just a mode of transport to the job site

Underwater Construction Corporation has at least one female diver that works for them out of their Michigan branch.

Commercial Diving in the great lakes : You get paid to shovel sand out of intake pipes, reweld intake pipe grates, inspect bridge pilings, inspect concrete for spalling... There's some nuke plant and black water diving around here, but it is outweighed by the "routine" stuff.

Back
Top Bottom