Female Commercial Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...I really, really want to be a Commercial Diver, earn a good living and do what I love. I'm unsure on the exact field yet, but I'll work it out!

You should really figure out the field you're interested in first and get some experience before you even consider investing in commercial diver training. If you can't hack it on land you definitely aren't going to make it as a diver. Dive jobs cost a lot more money to operate than a comparable topside job, companies are not going to want you eating up thier profits to get 'on-the-job' training. Bottom line is; jobs need to be done safely, correctly and quickly.

I don't think it makes any difference that you're a woman as long as you can meet the physical demands and have trade skills.

FYI - Personally, I don't know any females who have lasted as a commercial diver. That doesn't mean I don't think it's possible...just sayin.

...Can anybody give me an insight on what it's like to be a commercial diver (especially females), is it very much a man's world? Just tell me everything you know :) I am going to head over the border to Scotland at some point soon and do a 'try-dive' with the equipment and complete some underwater tasks to get a feel of what to expect. I want to challenge myself in life and work hard to the best of my potential so I'm willing to just go for it!

I've hired two female commercial divers in my time at Global (now Technip) and I was happy with the work of them both. I wouldn't worry about "Sexist men," as you either can do the job or you can't. Where you go in the commercial field (like in other occupations) comes down to attitude, ability, trust, dependability, reputation, respect and how well you work with others.

It use to be that women would be hired in some jobs to give the corporate illusion of "we hire women too." That's no longer the case. If you can't cut it, no job. You have to have the best track record regardless of gender. That's a tough road to hoe.

Ideally you need to graduate in the top 10% of your class (from a respected school), have a background in construction and have no strikes against you. Over my years in the commercial diving industry I've never heard anything negative about women divers. If they can't tow the line, they're fired so there's nothing to hear. I have heard Dive Supervisors and Superintendents brag about a women diver (in a similar way as some men). "She's a cracker-jack!" one guy use to say all the time.

I don't know about the onshore side of things as I've been out of that for almost 30 years. But as far as the offshore is concerned, it's a long road ahead. I hope you're a good worker and can actually carry your weight (physically). Remember Commercial Diving has less to do with diving than it does doing the work. You have to be able to get the job done right and on-time. If construction and maintenance of big equipment in a cold and hostile environment appeals to you, you may have found the right profession.

DSCF0595.jpgDSCF0591.jpgDSCF0590.jpg

A typical refinery dive sucking zebra mussels, usually in water a carp would leave.
Zero vis is the norm, cold, stinks, and polluted.... :acclaim:

Looks like you've got it easy Darol!

---------- Post added September 30th, 2013 at 10:14 PM ----------

I've done stuff I'm not proud of and in retrospect I'm lucky to still be here. Like hooking up a bailout to the EGS with no coms to quickly cut 3 pilings someone else failed to do. Stupid ? Yes. A part of the job ? Sometimes. There is risk and calculated risk. I knew on my watch how close I was getting to my oh eff me point. Would I ask anyone else to do it ? No, which is why I said I'm splashing..This is an industry where by the book doesn't always apply. Where your only as good as the last dive you dove. Don't produce and you could find yourself without income. Let money get in the way of common sense and your even worse off.

Here's the "Right Stuff" Commercial Diver Job (Sorry Becky, but must be a US Citizen for this one):

Recovery Operations Lead, Space Exploration Technologies Corp.

• Responsible for the overall recovery planning, coordination and execution of the post-launch recovery operations
  • Coordinate and plan recovery vessel(s) for missions and training events
  • Coordinate support divers for missions and training events
  • Work with various spacecraft subsystem teams to ensure all recovery requirements are met
  • Build and maintain project schedules, identifying potential bottlenecks, developing proper resolutions, and reporting to management
  • Oversee the recovery team during missions, ensuring the safety of all employees and hardware
  • Lead team member on the recovery boat for all the operations.
  • Asset with the hands-on recovery efforts, which may include things such as crane operations, loading and unloading sea vans, rigging operations, etc.

• Familiarity with Environmental Health and Safety on OSHA, SCBA and SCAPE requirements is preferred
  • Experience working with lifting large loads and shipping
  • Commercial Dive knowledge

• BS degree required. A degree in engineering (mechanical, marine, etc.) is preferred.
  • Minimum of 3-5 years of related experience leading a team in complex operations
  • Technical project management experience
  • Experience leading dive, recovery, research, or other closely related complex operations
  • A demonstrated success of planning and executing large scale operations while maintaining a safe work environment
  • Ability to coordinate a divertive group of individuals and resources for successful recovery operations
  • Must enjoy hands-on work and not be afraid to roll up your sleeves and get dirty
  • Excellent written and verbal communication skills
  • Ability to think quickly during operations with safety always in mind
  • Highly detail oriented, diligent, and hardworking individual
  • Ability to perform work expectations and thrive in a high-stress environment
  • Must be able to travel for extended period of time and maintain a flexible schedule
  • This position requires the person to work on a large boat for extended periods of time
  • Physical requirements: Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting, climbing hand over hand and lifting 50 lbs.

• BS degree required. A degree in engineering (mechanical, marine, etc.) is preferred.
  • Minimum of 3-5 years of related experience leading a team in complex operations
  • Technical project management experience
  • Experience leading dive, recovery, research, or other closely related complex operations
  • A demonstrated success of planning and executing large scale operations while maintaining a safe work environment
  • Ability to coordinate a divertive group of individuals and resources for successful recovery operations
  • Must enjoy hands-on work and not be afraid to roll up your sleeves and get dirty
  • Excellent written and verbal communication skills
  • Ability to think quickly during operations with safety always in mind
  • Highly detail oriented, diligent, and hardworking individual
  • Ability to perform work expectations and thrive in a high-stress environment
  • Must be able to travel for extended period of time and maintain a flexible schedule
  • This position requires the person to work on a large boat for extended periods of time
  • Physical requirements: Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting, climbing hand over hand and lifting 50 lbs.

Space Exploration Technologies Corporation - Careers
______
Suggest get your foot in the door first at Space X as a welder:
Welder, Texas | SpaceX

---------- Post added September 30th, 2013 at 10:07 PM ----------

Here are some more "gateway" jobs that could land you a plum commerical diving position in recovering splash-down spacecraft & dummy ICBM warheads (might be a US Navy Diver instead for THAT ONE though):

https://www.krsjv.com/default.aspx

Home of the most active tropical Pacific Ocean Scuba Club in the world: Kwajalein Scuba Club

(Sorry again Becky --for these jobs you must be a US Citizen with a valid US Passport, clean record and have a current or able to obtain a US Dept. of Defense Security Clearance)

---------- Post added September 30th, 2013 at 10:23 PM ----------

Here's a source where you might be able to get a job with UK Citizenship in tropical Diego Garcia (British Indian Ocean Territory):
Remote Sites: Diego Garcia, British Indian Ocean
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/introductions-greets/229061-greetings-tropical-diego-garcia.html

Last edited:
With all due respect,physical demands, there will be your challenge. This type of work has little, or nothing to do with scuba.
Making a good living ??? Check out the offshore diver site for some great info, and Good Luck.

Divers and Rig workers can be brutal to newbees, yes women do it.

I doubt you even met this women. So how can you say this seriously?

I spent 6 years in combat units and there were a many females that served along side us in "support roles" on our missions (from free falling, waterborne inserts, rappels, humping 80lb rucks of ammo and comms, et el) and just like the guys, there were some that could do the job without b*tching and some that couldnt. These women couldnt be "classified" as combat arms because of of them just being the wrong gender, but they sure were out there doing the job of a forward based solider and most doing it well.
It basically comes down to the person who wants to do the job. Not the gender, race or creed.

Ok, so I'm quite happy where I'm at right now as far as diving goes.

But in a few years, I really, really want to be a Commercial Diver, earn a good living and do what I love. I'm unsure on the exact field yet, but I'll work it out!

Can anybody give me an insight on what it's like to be a commercial diver (especially females), is it very much a man's world? Just tell me everything you know :) I am going to head over the border to Scotland at some point soon and do a 'try-dive' with the equipment and complete some underwater tasks to get a feel of what to expect. I want to challenge myself in life and work hard to the best of my potential so I'm willing to just go for it!

https://sphotos-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/q71/1013956_10151534454828823_1524022099_n.jpg

(Me and a Commercial Diver, I wish I had his job!)

Training wise: i had the pleasure to go to school and meet these 2 ladies and they completed the program, sometimes even better than some men, so you will be just fine

physics wise: technically the only drawback a female can have compared to man is that in GENERAL TERMS, females have a more bodyfat percentage and that is a predisposing factor to DCS... however i can guarantee you that an important group of commercial divers will have overweight... if you achieve a good physical shape you will be JUST FINE!

Strenght: i think that sometimes having physical strenght will give you an advantage, specially when youre working alone... this is a controversial topic, we can discuss this for months... however try to focus on the task, think outside the box, be creative and youll find a way around this, i will advice taking advantage of the proficient multitasking skills ladies have...

industry taboo: even if you where the only female in a DSV/rig/whatever platform youre diving from... it is just a matter of gaining respect from the Diving team by performing in a safe manner, having a positive attitude and doing what you have to do in a efficient way... so you will be just fine

missconceptions: IMHO most men divers are creatures with strange habits, like smoking, drinking, getting in trouble, chewing, drug abuse etc etc etc... THIS TYPE OF PEOPLE WILL NOT MAKE IT FOR LONG! please stay away of this type of persons if you really want to succeed!

advices: go to a IMCA recognized school, study physics and physiology profoundly, get DMT certified (this is very important to be a more interesting asset for your potential employer), LEARN RIGGING (i cant stress this enough), get proficient at diving by adapting your body to a water enviroment (sloppy divers dont go far, and they are prone to incidents), FOCUS on your goal and remember that this is a very physically and mentally demanding trade, it will probably destroy your relationship with your significant others, you will be traveling A LOT!

so WELCOME ABOARD??? is all up to you!!!

missconceptions: IMHO most men divers are creatures with strange habits, like ... drinking.

I don't think that's a misconception Ron. I've been around Commercial Diving for a long time (in all oceans) and the one thing that seems pretty consistent is that the boys love to party... :cheers:

Back
Top Bottom