Few Questions on Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I rent from ISIS. She has vw bugs for $35 aday and a vw golf type car for around $55 aday. Very honest lady. I wouold love to see where you roommate rented for $75 a week. .

Ditto on Renting from ISIS We have rented from Margarita for years. VW BUG Convertable $35/day insurance included. No A/C but lots of fun.

Diverokc, I have never seen the Golf type car?? Is that new?

Let's assume your GF's ears are healed, either now or in the future, but she still has trouble equalizing. This is definitely problematic in drift diving. In my first couple of years of diving, I did most of my diving in Cozumel, and I really, really, sucked at equalizing. I was so bad I had an instructor tell me that diving just might not be in the cards for me. Here is how I dealt with it on my annual Cozumel visits.

1. In the weeks leading up to the trips, I would gently try to clear my ears whenever I thought about it, like while watching television. I was generally unsuccessful at first, but eventually I would be able to get that "pop." Don't force it! Just keep working it gently. Be patient!

2. On the plane flight to Cozumel, I would do this repeatedly.

3. On the day I arrived, i would check into the hotel, which was right on the shore, and make arrangements for my diving. Then I would head for the water and start snorkeling. By that I really mean free diving. I would try to clear my ears and then descend as far as I could go without feeling pain. Every time I did it I got a little deeper. I could hear things opening up in time.

4. The next day I would work on it during the boat ride to the dive site. I equalized just before rolling into the water and immediately before descent. I would be a little slow equalizing on the first dive, but I would usually be OK on the second dive.

5. On the second day I would be much, much better. By the third day, I could equalize as fast as I could descend.

Today I dive frequently, so my ears are totally accustomed to it. I barely have to think about it. That's all it really takes--doing it a lot.

Let's assume your GF's ears are healed, either now or in the future, but she still has trouble equalizing. This is definitely problematic in drift diving. In my first couple of years of diving, I did most of my diving in Cozumel, and I really, really, sucked at equalizing. I was so bad I had an instructor tell me that diving just might not be in the cards for me. Here is how I dealt with it on my annual Cozumel visits.

1. In the weeks leading up to the trips, I would gently try to clear my ears whenever I thought about it, like while watching television. I was generally unsuccessful at first, but eventually I would be able to get that "pop." Don't force it! Just keep working it gently. Be patient!

2. On the plane flight to Cozumel, I would do this repeatedly.

3. On the day I arrived, i would check into the hotel, which was right on the shore, and make arrangements for my diving. Then I would head for the water and start snorkeling. By that I really mean free diving. I would try to clear my ears and then descend as far as I could go without feeling pain. Every time I did it I got a little deeper. I could hear things opening up in time.

4. The next day I would work on it during the boat ride to the dive site. I equalized just before rolling into the water and immediately before descent. I would be a little slow equalizing on the first dive, but I would usually be OK on the second dive.

5. On the second day I would be much, much better. By the third day, I could equalize as fast as I could descend.

Today I dive frequently, so my ears are totally accustomed to it. I barely have to think about it. That's all it really takes--doing it a lot.

I just forwarded this to her. Thanks.

I was on the phone with Jeanie from Tres Pelicanos and she spent 20 mins talking to me about the ears. Real nice person. Showed genuine interest.

I just forwarded this to her. Thanks.

I was on the phone with Jeanie from Tres Pelicanos and she spent 20 mins talking to me about the ears. Real nice person. Showed genuine interest.

Twenty minutes for ears! Who would expect that "ears" demand that much interest? Perhaps because they are critically important when the body is exposed to the significant pressure changes while diving. Especially for people who might have issues equalizing that pressure.

This is an important issue and not one to be trivialized. Ideally this is just an temporary issue and in time she will overcome any issues and come to enjoy diving.

If its any consolation, my first resort dive, Hawaii 1991, went to 30ft for darn near an hour and NEVER cleared my ears. Hurt like hell for a month and thought I'd never, ever dive. By 1995, in my younger, crazier days, Memo and I could get to 249 feet in less than 1 minute. But I always took a Sudefed 30 minutes prior to diving, still do.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I was just fixing to suggest that as well.

A lot of people have problems clearing their ears due to constantly clogged/inflamed eustachian tubes.

My daughter has ETD (eustachian tube dysfunction) and the Dr regularly has he do Flonase 1 time a day each nostril for 6-8 weeks and sudafed (the real stuff behind the counter) daily.

A regimen like the above (Flonase is OTC now - 120 sprays for about $24 - so 2 months roughly) might help her become better at clearing her ears? A good ENT could comment on if it would work or not, but even though *I* can clear my ear by just yawning slightly, I too take sudafed (12 hour pill) every am an hour before I dive, and this year I am adding in flonase for a month before I go to help my ears/sinuses/eustachian tubes be as clear as possible (I have baaad allergies here in oklahoma lol).

I saw an ENT who told me:

1. Use the proplugs;
2. Use flonase for 2 weeks or so before;
3. Take Mucinex (regular) with lots of water.
4. Use the sudifed.

I did. I helped alot! Now I am down to proplugs and flonase. I didn't know flonase was OTC now!

I have a problem Eustachian tube as well, and I am on the Flonase regimen now on advice from my ENT (a diver) in preparation for my upcoming Coz trip. He said to use pseudoephedrine and Afrin on dive days, and he gave me a script for a steroid if I run into trouble down there.

It seems to be there is a pretty large percentage of divers who have some sort of ear issues. Always someone on the boat talking about bad or slow ears.

I would definitely take it very seriously and contact DAN to get advice and a referral to a good diving aware ENT. And after seeing all the regulars who have issues, I am very thankful for my easy clearing ears...

Back
Top Bottom