FI vs CCV Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always find comments about the number of DM's to be interesting.

It was my third year of diving that I learned that some places actually put a DM in the water with you. That was on a trip to the big island of Hawaii.

I guess us key largo/Bonaire do it your selfers are just out of the loop.

Having dove both ways - if the DM is really good they can enhance the experience - personal opinion of course!

DD, don,t forget there is a big difference between real DM duties... And a spotter (often also refered to as a DM) who is only a guide and probably couldn't hlep you if you needed it... In some places you get one... Some the other... And occasionally sometimes one who serves both! :coffee: I'm sure even in Bonaire, do it yourself heaven, having an experienced spotter would be great...:coffee:

I always find comments about the number of DM's to be interesting.

It was my third year of diving that I learned that some places actually put a DM in the water with you. That was on a trip to the big island of Hawaii.

I guess us key largo/Bonaire do it your selfers are just out of the loop.

Having dove both ways - if the DM is really good they can enhance the experience - personal opinion of course!

Yes, it is nice to have a "spotter" for cool critters known to be on a certain site. We found the DM at CCV to be very good at this and his briefing on the boat, before the dive, he would tell us the "highlights" of the dive, what he planned to show everyone. We would stay with the group for these if we wanted, or we would go off and hunt our own. Several times, the DM would hear me signalling my buddy, and would come over to see what we found. Once we had gotten our photos, he would then go and find all the other divers from the boat and point it out to them. Nice! It was a great system and worked well for our group as we only had 2 newbies on the boat. The rest (same group all week at CCV) were experienced divers. The newbies and a few others always stayed with the DM, but at least 1/2 of our group of 15 divers spread out. It was VERY nice that way. I HATE it when divers are bumping into each other constantly (big complaint about Cozumel, Hawaii, and a few other places we have visited).

robin:D

I noticed when I started diving that I would follow the dm/guide. He knew jsut where that seahorse was or the frog fish, etc. Now, we let the Dm know we will be in the area and follow their time profile but we will be hunting our own subjects. I feel finding my own subjects is both more rewarding and allows more time with the subject without being "that guy" with the camera.
Here in California, the DM is a whole other beast. When I did my instructor training I woudl DM on a boat with a group from the shop. On those trips I never got to get in the water short of swimming out a stern line to tie off on a rock. That job required eyes on the water and fins in hand for a quick retreaval. Clip boards for head counts and brief/defrief on each dive.
In Bonaire we hired a DM/guide to do an East side beach dive. His planning and breifing was more to my understanding of a DM and his local knowlege was needed as a guide to pick thru the surf a safe entry/exit.
As far as Coco's DM's, we get a breifing before the boat pulls away from the dock. I have noticed head counts before and after. He is usualy the first back on board to help his divers with there gear as they board. He handles the mooring line and distributes fruit on the SI. They are all very aware of where the major critters are and if you share a new find they seem to have a hardrive memory to share with the next group, usually at least a week later. (The DM stays with the same group for the week and the same dive is seldome done).
I have only once seen a diver at Coco require assistance due to error and it was handled flawlessly.
It would appear that the Term DM varies with location.

OK we are seriously looking at June instead of September. I know there is AC in the rooms but what about the restaurants at FI and CCV?

That past two Septembers we have gone to Sandals in Cuba and the AC in the main buffet and most of the al la cart restaruants was REALLY poor. You just wanted to eat quick and get out of there as the sweat was rolling down your face and back. :shakehead:

I checked the temps for June and it looks like 30c average (high up to 33c). You would definitely need AC in that weather.

33C = 91F :confused: You call that hot...?

33C = 91F :confused: You call that hot...?

They're from Canada. Anything over 20C (68F), and they get heatstroke :D

Of course, the advantage is that when they dive in Lake Erie, or perhaps in the Hudson bay, their idea of exposure protection is a 3mm shortie :eyebrow:

They're from Canada. Anything over 20C (68F), and they get heatstroke :D

Of course, the advantage is that when they dive in Lake Erie, or perhaps in the Hudson bay, their idea of exposure protection is a 3mm shortie :eyebrow:
So you're going in July to cool off huh? :eyebrow:

Ha ha ha Today is -20c without the windchill. FREEZING :shocked2:

I guess I'm more worried about the humitity. 33c and dry is okay. It's when it is 34c and 95% humitity (like when we visit Hong Kong). Yuck! I hate to sweat standing still.

So to answer the question: is there GOOD AC in the restaurants at FI and CCV?

OK we are seriously looking at June instead of September. I know there is AC in the rooms but what about the restaurants at FI and CCV?

I checked the temps for June and it looks like 30c average (high up to 33c). You would definitely need AC in that weather.

No, not in CCV's dining area.

The way this is dealt with at CCV- they have high open ceiling dining room with many fans in the rafters- hung down low and close to your warm head...

IMG_3308.jpg

I have been at CCV every month of the year, and surely in some 95°+ temps. With the rooms on stilts out over the reef (and in the unobstructed breeze), it is not often that I have resorted to the A.C.

The rooms, before they were modified to be sealable for A.C., were actually a lot more fun and generally cooler. Now that they have provided for sealing the room (vs floor-to-ceiling screens), they are no-where near as breezy. I find myself using the AC more than I ever would have before.

For those who want to hang meat in their rooms, I suggest you select one of the downstairs "ocean-front" rooms. They would be 16, 17, 18. (also these are the handicapped rooms) The upstairs rooms offer a great unobstructed view of the two wall reefs and the sunset- often you can see Dolphins and sometimes Whales in the Sunset from that extra 15' height. These:

IMG_3453.jpg

There are 25 rooms total at CoCoView. 14 of them are over the reef on stilts, the other 9 of them are called "ocean front" rooms. That's because you are 8' from the water.

The Bungalows, 4 in number, are duplexes just to the West of the Clubhouse- towards Fantasy Island which is in the background. We quit staying in them because of the noise carrying over from FI at night, but I've never heard from anyone else with that complaint. Guess I sleep light (and don't drink) :wink:

IMG_3148.jpg

The Cabanas, marked as C1 thru C12, are 4-plex and run along the shoreline to the East:

IMG_3150.jpg

The Cabanas and Bungalows are the best for late night- sitting in a chair and watching for action in the reef lying just below your room.

They are shown here (along with why you came to CCV):

DSC_0006.jpg

The walkways are how you get around CCV. Not much walking to do on anything but wood. They are perfect for critter-spotting. Always look down, always bring a small flashlight at night...
IMG_3888-1.jpg
aark004-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom