FIBR bag handling at airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the resort does not have a color code than I suppose at least a tag with the
destination resort on it ? My bags are tagged with name but that may not tell
them to much if they were to end up at the wrong resort. Not sure how big the
airport is but it would be kinda nice to see the luggage at least once before
proceeding to the resort. It sounds like they have a decent system and I'm
sure no need to worry. I will go with at least a resort tag if the resort I go with
does not have a color code. Thanks for info !

When you deplane, you will go directly through customs...the line will be long. As soon as you get your passport stamped you will proceed to the baggage handling area. There will be a revolving luggage carousel (sp?) and you should be able to find your bags there. Just grab them and give them to one of the luggage handlers who will definitely be in the area. (Orlando or Luis) Tell them you are going to Fantasy Island and they will see that your bags are put on the correct luggage cart. (This is when you tip them well!) From that point you will need to take any hand luggage and run it thru x-ray. Then you grab your stuff and proceed outside to the HOPEFULLY WAITING Fantasy Island bus, which will deliver you to the resort. If there are not many other Fantasy Island guests, your luggage will travel with you on the bus. If the bus is crowded, the luggage will not fit and will have to be delivered in a separate vehicle.

It's really painless...we do it three or four times a year. Once you go through it one time you'll be a seasoned veteran! If you have any other questions about Fantasy Island please feel free to ask...always happy to help :D

when we were there, a guy from CCV resort picked out the bags with the pink tags, and put them on a cart. We were instructed to make sure all our bags were there, then the cart was taken to the truck. I am guessing that is normal procedure for all resorts.

Bad guess. :wink: You been spoiled, Girl. There is a wide variation on Roatan.

If the resort does not have a color code than I suppose at least a tag with the destination resort on it ? My bags are tagged with name but that may not tell them to much if they were to end up at the wrong resort. Not sure how big the airport is but it would be kinda nice to see the luggage at least once before proceeding to the resort. It sounds like they have a decent system and I'm sure no need to worry. I will go with at least a resort tag if the resort I go with does not have a color code. Thanks for the info!
I often do make custom name tags that include my destination resort by name and date of arrival, just in case - one for the outside of each bag, one for inside a small pocket on each bag. Over the 40+ years and 4+million miles, I have been thru a lot of fiascoes. Not necessary really, but not a bad idea. For the return, I don't worry so much. Airlines have reduced luggage liabilities on international flights and also exclusions on scuba gear, but that's part of why I do Trip Ins.

Its all very simple really, look for the person with the sign for your place, make contact with them, pull your bags off the belt and make sure they get on the cart/truck to your destination. Seriosly, its not all that complicated.

Bad guess. :wink: You been spoiled, Girl. There is a wide variation on Roatan.

Maybe so, but I do remember there being people holding up signs with the names of different resorts on them. It seemed like most of the people on our plane were going to one of those. There were only 2 other couples going with us to CCV.

"Yep, that's one of the things I've emailed to everyone on my group about who to tip. Those guys do a great job!
Ahhh, another excellent service provided by Nick. Sad to see him disconnect from FI. It was nice to get such quick responses from him when I had questions pre-trip.
I wonder if I made up some bright yellow tags that say Fantasy Island, if that would be of any value to Orlando's guys?'

I just booked a trip to FIBR with Nick on Jan 15, 3 days ago. I don't think he or Meghan have disconnected from FI have they?

I guess he is still booking with them. Great! I think the relationship has changed recently but looks like he's still involved. Nick always did a great job on my trips (which were booked through PADI Travel, but at that time he was involved in the chain).

I heard they were attempting to get him to come back...looks like the efforts were successful :D

I heard they were attempting to get him to come back...looks like the efforts were successful :D
I would think they'd be better with him than without. I have no idea what their agreement was, but he was good for their business whatever he cost them.

Last I corresponded with the resort directly (a couple months ago), the response I got sounded like it was from someone with English as their first langage - so I'm not sure who they have in-house doing that. (prior communications with them definitely displayed a language barrier). It was the little things like the luggage tags and very quick responses that made Nick so exceptional. I don't think I ever talked to him on the phone - only emails, but he was always helpful. Hopefully they can make it all work as well as it was.

Back
Top Bottom