Fiesta Americana & Dive Op?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ernbob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all...my family just booked a week long trip at the Fiesta Americana the last week of the year and I'm looking for some advice on a dive op.

I'm an experienced diver with a few recent dives in PDC and Cozumel. Both of my sons (18 & 20) are going through their OW certification right now and these will be there first real dives.

I'm looking for a dive op that people have real live experience with and that does small group dives. Also open to suggestions on who not to go with.

Thanks in advance.

Hello all...my family just booked a week long trip at the Fiesta Americana the last week of the year and I'm looking for some advice on a dive op.

I'm an experienced diver with a few recent dives in PDC and Cozumel. Both of my sons (18 & 20) are going through their OW certification right now and these will be there first real dives.

I'm looking for a dive op that people have real live experience with and that does small group dives. Also open to suggestions on who not to go with.

Thanks in advance.

Alison at Scuba Dive Cozumel | ScubaWithAlison. Both my kids did their first post certification dives with Alison.

Thanks in advance.

Hi ernbob, How wonderful that your son's are getting certified and that you will be able to share your diving experiences. Both my sons and their wives are certified and our dive time together have given us some very special memories.

To answer your question, I have copied information I have written to others in the past. For the record, the poster is asking the question and I am answering...not cheerleading, just answering.

The best bet is to first make a list of what you are looking for. Then, take a look at posts, trip reviews and dive op recommendations made over the past 3-6 months. Once you have a short list of 3-5 Dive ops, send them the list and decide who to book with based on the answers you get.

As mentioned many of the Coz Forum regulars have favorites and I admit I am in that group. Michael and I have been diving with Blue XT Sea diving for several years. We have also dived with two other Cozumel dive op's. We enjoy diving with Christi and her crew for the reasons you have mentioned. ".. dive op that people have real live experience with and that does small group dives." Blue XT Sea has very experienced divemasters ,small 6-pack boats and pick up at Fiesta Americana. Since your son's are new, and per Blue XT Sea's posted policy, a private divemaster for their first dives may and/or most likely will be required. My son and DIL completed their certification with Blue XT SEA and had a private divemaster. What I appreciated was the fact that in addition to the safety factor, they also received excellent diving guidance.

Overall, however, and as many have said, there are other dive ops that are top notch as well.
Once you find your best choice and are booked all you will have is starting your countdown and getting ready for your trip. Have a GREAT time !!

Sue

It's rah-rah time...! :cheerleader: They're all good; pick any of them.

Be sure that everyone is covered with DAN dive insurance and not the cheapest plan...!

Every diver should carry several signal devices in case lost and do hire a private DM for the first day with the new divers - money well spent.

A dive shop with small groups describes most of the shops in Cozumel. The responses you'll get will be about a dozen people giving you their personal choice and some will add, "they're the best," which for them they are. What's best for me though may very well not be best for you.

To find the shop that will best meet your needs, narrow down what you want -

Do you have a price range you want to stay in? 2-tank trips range between about $60-95.
Do you want just a ride, bottle of water and a DM, or do you want more in the way of service - towels, snacks, fruit, beach or beach club SIs, gear rinsing and storage?
Do you have tank preference - AL80, steel HP95 or 120, LP100 or 120?
Do you all have dive computers? (some shops require them and don't rent them)
Do you like to be up and out on the boat by 8am or would you rather not rush and be out 9-10am?
By "small groups" do you mean you want a fast boat with a max of 6-8 divers, or would a big boat that splits divers in groups be ok? (I believe park rules require one DM to 8 divers max)

With that info you will hopefully get pointed to shops that match what you want. With so many to choose from in Cozumel, it's hard to not find the perfect fit.

Can we sticky this post under "Before you ask which operator to use....!"
A dive shop with small groups describes most of the shops in Cozumel. The responses you'll get will be about a dozen people giving you their personal choice and some will add, "they're the best," which for them they are. What's best for me though may very well not be best for you.

To find the shop that will best meet your needs, narrow down what you want -

Do you have a price range you want to stay in? 2-tank trips range between about $60-95.
Do you want just a ride, bottle of water and a DM, or do you want more in the way of service - towels, snacks, fruit, beach or beach club SIs, gear rinsing and storage?
Do you have tank preference - AL80, steel HP95 or 120, LP100 or 120?
Do you all have dive computers? (some shops require them and don't rent them)
Do you like to be up and out on the boat by 8am or would you rather not rush and be out 9-10am?
By "small groups" do you mean you want a fast boat with a max of 6-8 divers, or would a big boat that splits divers in groups be ok? (I believe park rules require one DM to 8 divers max)

With that info you will hopefully get pointed to shops that match what you want. With so many to choose from in Cozumel, it's hard to not find the perfect fit.

OK Don....:shakehead: , and no....they are NOT all good.. One dive op does NOT fit all !

Also, scubawife your list of questions are fantastic. Perhaps add on if the dive op picks up a specific pier or location.

OK Don....:shakehead: , and no....they are NOT all good.. One dive op does NOT fit all !

I think this is one of the best things about Cozumel - so many choices that it's really almost impossible to not find the perfect combo of accommodations & dive shop for you. You aren't stuck with the one size fits all, or with using the on-site shop. You have the ability to pick and choose. Some places I've been I feel like I have to compromise - either get the perfect place to stay or the perfect shop, but no both. It's not every place that you can stay at any hotel, resort, condo or villa and choose from what, 70 or so dive operators?

I think this is one of the best things about Cozumel - so many choices that it's really almost impossible to not find the perfect combo of accommodations & dive shop for you. You aren't stuck with the one size fits all, or with using the on-site shop. You have the ability to pick and choose. Some places I've been I feel like I have to compromise - either get the perfect place to stay or the perfect shop, but no both. It's not every place that you can stay at any hotel, resort, condo or villa and choose from what, 70 or so dive operators?

You are so right ! Also, and as Don mentioned it would be wonderful for a sticky to be posted that listed questions that a new diver or an experienced diver looking for a Cozumel Dive op may want to ask a dive op. With the right questions and knowledge from personal reviews, a diver is bound to find a happy Cozumel Diving Home !

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom