Fiji Diving Vs. Indonesia (Bunaken, Gili, Nusa)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wandererlaowai

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Good morning All!

1st post here, I apologize if my question has already been raised before.

I have a PADI AOW certification but only about 30 dives on my log, mostly because I do not live close enough to beautiful dive sites to enjoy this weekly.

I am considering where I should go for holidays in August, and I want to focus on diving - but cultural activities on the side are always a bonus.

I've been looking at Fiji and though it seems attractive based on reviews / comments, I'm wondering if the diving is that good to justify the cost of the trip there (flights + accomm + dives would definitely not be cheap).

I have been to Indonesia in the last years and I dived in Bunaken last summer, which was amazing to me! I have since been also to Jordan and Thailand but haven't felt the same "wow" feeling when diving in those places.

So, to make it short, Is Fiji worth the time and money Vs. Indonesia (cheaper + closer)?

Any other places you'd recommend for next month, in Asia or Oceania?

Thanks already!

Mike

Hi Mike
30 dives is still early in this hobby. I f I were you I would just spend the travel money in logging more dives and gathering experience at a cheaper price. Or even setting goals like at least one new course each year to upgrade ones skills. Plenty of places to dive in S.E Asia on a smaller travel budget than Fiji I am sure. I dived Thailand/Philippines repeatedly for 4-5 years even though many dives were not super exciting. Its experiencing the hobby and tuning ones mental emotional states during dives to a level of preparedness under varying conditions that is more important. I found myself challenged on a few dives was two-steps away from panic on many - fighting these moments and learning to manage oneself is more important at this stage that Oohs and Aaahs. Every dive need not be super exciting in terms of sights and sounds .... focusing on expanding your personal comfort zone in different conditions is more important at this early stage.

And then there will always be those recurring and rewarding moments when you least expect that makes one feel thankful for the experience and opportunity ...

I am not very experienced either like you and Fiji is also on my go-to list, but I am saving it for many years/dives later ...

Enjoy Diving!

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi there,

That's what I was also thinking... And therefore considering do Bali or Gili to get more practice as well as do specialty courses to increase my confidence.

Any suggestions in Bali / Gili or Indonesia- since I am going in August, Thailand and Philippines are off because of moonson.

Thanks,

o_O

Fiji is fine for less experienced divers, so long as you let the guides know. I don't think you need to "save it up", and Fiji is definitely worth the trip! It has some amazing soft corals, and decent shark life. August can get a bit chilly in the water, but if you have a 5mm, you should be fine. I've dived there in winter and enjoyed it :) Fiji also has good cultural experiences.

Bali is also good at that time of year and has good cultural experiences on top of the diving.

Depends what you want to see really. Fiji for sharks and reefs. Bali for macro, wrecks, mantas, and (maybe) mola mola. I think Bali requires more diving experience than Fiji to be totally honest with you.

August is the peak season for mola mola in Crystal Bay, Nusa Penida. You just need to let your guide know that you are a newbie so s/he’ll keep a closed eye on you. Don’t wander too far into the blue & be ready to fin to the slope for protection when down current hit you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom