Fiji or Tahiti?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blighbaby, Doubler, mathauck0814,

Thank you all again for the insight and advice, Bligh looks the most likely for us...and now the choice is land or liveaboard (need to check schedule) :)

Again, I really appreciate all your willingness to help out and provide advice!!

Best,
Phil

Sounds like your decision is made, but for what it is worth, I dived Tahiti about 25 years ago, and I thought it was pretty average. I have never dived Fiji, but I have always heard that it is world class.

YMMV.

Been to Tahiti and Fiji -- Fiji is the place. I like both Beqa and the Bligh waters; the Bligh waters is, in general, bigger animals and more difficult diving than Beqa. Beqa is my favorite of the two, though. Beqa Lagoon Resort has tons of bulldozer shrimp on the house reef, great nudis, and wonderful corals. Plus, there's the shark dive. Love Beqa.

I have been to both. Fiji is much better diving and much cheaper.

Sounds like your decision is made, but for what it is worth, I dived Tahiti about 25 years ago, and I thought it was pretty average. I have never dived Fiji, but I have always heard that it is world class.
If you're both referring to Tahiti, the island, yes. Even the Society Islands, yes. But there is definitely world-class diving in the Tuamotus.

Thanks for the additional feedback folks...we are in the process of booking Fiji and may try to squeeze in a little Beqa in addition to Bligh!! :)

-Phil

Hi,

Have look at Matangi:

Matangi Private Island Resort Fiji - Weddings, Honeymoons, Diving & more

It is an absolute paradise. You get your own "bure", wonderful gourmet meals, excellent diving, and a staff that is eager to show you a great time.

The diving is lucious...and, if you want to see a Blue Ribbon Eel, this is the place to go. Also, you can do a shore dive right off the beach at the resort...and your gear is hanging right at the beach area. Do not be surprised to see lionfish on your shore dive! Sometimes we just did shore dives on a given day and sometimes we hopped off the boat after a two tanker and did a quickie shore dive just for the fun of it.

There is a direct flight from LAX to Nadi (pronounced "nandi"), stay overnight in a "day room", hop a Sun Pacific flight to a local airport, you then are taken to a boat that takes you to the island of Matangi (Note that you have to wade in about 10" of water to get to the boat!). Now, this sounds a bit convoluted, but it is really easy and fun. The folks at the resort will help you with all the travel plans.

You will not want to leave, but when you do, all the staff gathers at the shoreline and sings "Isa Lei", a very evocative Fiji good-bye song.

My vote is for Fiji!

joewr...travel agent to the discerning diver...

Just an update to the thread here, I have sent no less than three requests since last Wednesday to Wananavu with booking questions and not a single reply from them...will be looking somewhere else - perhaps they have too much business, although their website shows availability. Very disappointing service, will send a note up on TripAdvisor too...

I think the way you stated your question may have colored the answers you got -- Were you referring to French Polynesia or just the island of Tahiti? I was researching FP v. Fiji and decided on Rangiroa and Fakarava in FP because of all the awesome pelagic life there (schools of 300 grey reef sharks, hammerheads at that time of year, mantas, dolphins, etc.) Tahiti, the island itself, is not that great, but a quick one hour flight out from Tahiti to Rangiroa or Fakarava and there is some amazing diving (or so I hear).

I think the way you stated your question may have colored the answers you got -- Were you referring to French Polynesia or just the island of Tahiti? I was researching FP v. Fiji and decided on Rangiroa and Fakarava in FP because of all the awesome pelagic life there (schools of 300 grey reef sharks, hammerheads at that time of year, mantas, dolphins, etc.) Tahiti, the island itself, is not that great, but a quick one hour flight out from Tahiti to Rangiroa or Fakarava and there is some amazing diving (or so I hear).
Yeah, that's sort of what I was trying to say. Better make sure your credit cards have high balances, though. Whether it's "Tahiti" or "French Polynesia", it's tremendously expensive compared to other popular dive locales.

Back
Top Bottom