Fiji water temperatures and wetsuit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iralub

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm doing a day liveaboard in fiji in mid July and was wondering about thermal protection. I was going to bring my 5 mm full wetsuit and a lavacor shirt and hood just in case. Is that an overkill for the water temperatures?

Pretty much all my diving has been in water temperatures between 28 and 29 celsius, where i use a full 3mm suit and am fine for about 4 dives a day, but will get cold in a shorty after 2 dives.

July is mid-winter in Fiji. Be prepared for water temps in the mid to upper-70s F. 24-25 C. We were at Beqa in October a few years ago and it was 74-75 F.

OK, 24-25C is most likely 5 mm territory for a sook like me!

I'm in the middle of packing for Fiji and everytime I read something like this I throw another layer of neoprene into my bag! Nothing worse than being cold.

Just got back from Fiji - I wore a 3mm suit (no hood) on first two dives of the day, then Lavacore shirt under the 3mm for the rest of the dives that day. At the end of the last dive I was still getting little cold. Mind you, I am cold natured - accustomed to diving Gulf of Mexico with just a rash guard.

The bigger problem was actually on the boat during surface intervals and after diving with the wind. Consider taking a boat coat/wind breaker.

Based on what everyone is saying. In July, Fiji, if you are cold-natured, a 3mm full suit would be recommended???. I am going in July. And I am new to diving so wanted some advice on what to get
Or do I layer?
Please advise.

Based on what everyone is saying. In July, Fiji, if you are cold-natured, a 3mm full suit would be recommended???. I am going in July. And I am new to diving so wanted some advice on what to get
Or do I layer?
Please advise.

I would layer - definitely take a 3mm and 1mm. If you have room and resources take a hooded vest. Don't forget a wind breaker or boat coat for the boat rides, and a sweatshirt for after the dive. Even though you're in a tropical location, you will likely appreciate a sweatshirt after diving.

Thanks for the tip, I'll take a thin wool sweater and windbreaker too. Unfortunately I don't have vests etc to layer, except lavacore shirt. It does sound like it'll have to be the 5 mm and putting up with carrying extra weights. I'm the opposite of cold natured :)

My suitcase is getting bigger and bigger!

Hmm, naia twitter feed says water temp is now 74F so about 23C. Am now wondering if I'll get cold even in my 5 mm, lol. I guess I'll find out tomorrow!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom