Fiji water temperatures and wetsuit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm, naia twitter feed says water temp is now 74F so about 23C. Am now wondering if I'll get cold even in my 5 mm, lol. I guess I'll find out tomorrow!
I'm writing this from the Naia. Came w a 3mm w a 3 shorty on top and lavacore under. Wouldnt cut it-- had to rent a 5 mil from them and still have been barely making it in my 5mm. I cant go past 65 minutes without my toes going completely numb. Most people including the DMs are wearing 7s. Bring a jacket too, we are all wearing them after dives, air and wind very cold as well.If you already left home they say there's a good dive shop in Denarau w decent prices. Good luck!

In Fiji I wear 1mm full suit, no hood, no gloves, sometimes no booties depending on fins, any time of year. I can't see anyone needing anything more. Temperature difference, on land or underwater, is hardly any difference.

Just got back from my Fiji trip. Did the first dive in my 5mm wetsuit and was way too cold. Added a lavacore shirt and then later also a lavacore hood. With those layers (and 5mm boots) I was reasonably comfortable for most dives, although needed a warm shower after every dive to regain body heat (yes I know it's not recommended). I could have added a shorty on top but didn't want to carry the extra weight that it would require.

Water temperature ranged between 22C and 24C according to my computer. People's thermal protection varied from 7mm with hood to shorts and t shirt!

Diving was great though!

Quickly things change going into the Fiji winter, I was just there two months ago diving in a 3mm with no problems!

But the cold water brought us whale song on nearly every dive! We skipped one 11am dive to follow a mom + baby around. A couple people jumped in and swam with them -- I was still shivering from my morning dive and couldn't do it.
I wore a 5 mm with a 3mm sleeveless shortie on top, lavacore bottoms and hooded vest underneath, and 5mm boots with scraps of neoprene wrapped around my toes. I was still cold. Some on the Nai'a tried to do 3mm and one by one they all gave up and rented suits (funny because we all ended up matching). I always laugh back at divers who laugh at me for wearing so many layers, because everytime I see them in the water they are thrashing about. No wonder they are staying warm ; )

Just back from Fiji .
I dove in Bligh waters ( Ra Divers - Volivoli ) on 11-15 August and water temperature was 23-24°C . A lot of cold wind also .
I dove Taveuni ( Taveuni dive ) on 17-23 August and water temperature was 24°C-26°C . The air temperature was also warmer than Rakiraki .
I used semidry suit 7.5 mm and I was very very happy about that ( expecially in Bligh water diving ) !
hope this can help
Paolo

For those of you on this thread who just got back; did anyone wear drysuits? I would think by changing the undergarments that the drysuit might work better where there is a lot of change in temps in the water. Added plus is that you're dry on the boat between dives.

I didn't see anyone in drysuit .but consider also there is ( a lot of ) current ( if you want a good dive ! ) so dive in a drysuit is more tiresome .

I didn't see anyone in a dry suit either, but a few people diving 7mm with hood. I was marginally cold in 5mm, with lavacore shirt and hood, and I'm very cold sensitive. Dry suit would likely be an overkill for those waters.

Sent from my XT905 using Tapatalk

I dove in Fiji on board the Island Dancer in July 2013 and was comfortable with a 5mm wetsuit. If I recall, almost everyone else did the same except one who wore a 7mm suit.

Our problem was not the water temperature but the wind and rough seas which made a few dive spots out of bounds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom