Filling a BC manually vs. with tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vintage flotation vest converted to an orally inflated BC by the addition of a dump valve.

Attachments

• DSC01853 (Small) (2).JPG
    DSC01853 (Small) (2).JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 27
Yeah! Back to horse collars and blow tubes, I say! Better yet, surface-supplied diving bells, forget all this compact gear that can fail! :wink:

No, I am using an Oxy Mach V 18 pound with military harness---no plate---manual oral inflation, PRAM, spg, Air Buddy, big knife, flippers, mask. What else you need? You can keep the diving bell, those are to old fashioned. :rofl3:

N, "N" 2 zen

I'm not a troll and sorry for asking the newb questions. I am just finishing my course so I am not officially certified, though I am finding lots of gaps in my knowledge that were not covered during my course. Thanks everyone for your help.

Ask all the questions you want stan, thats what this area of the board is for!

Power inflators are an example of equipment dependency and unnecessary additional failure points that are easy to eliminate by eliminating the power inflator and a hose and all of the O rings and buttons and stuff that goes with it.

N, "N" 2 zen

What are you talking about dude, we don't even use BC's most of the time. This thread doesn't even have anything to do with us.

I'm not a troll and sorry for asking the newb questions. I am just finishing my course so I am not officially certified, though I am finding lots of gaps in my knowledge that were not covered during my course. Thanks everyone for your help.
Hey, no problem Stan.
Just let us know what's up. Don't feel shy to ask questions and get in to the conversation. It's silence that get's the bugs crawling in people's mind's.
If your instructor isn't filling you in on the goods you need to push him/her and ask lot's of questions (then get back to us with what they said).
And when the thread gets moving keep us filled in with info so we don't start wondering if we got ourselves a troll.
Let us know how it goes.
And, yes, it is fine to breath hold momentarily to switch from your reg to your BC inflator. Just don't go up while you're doing it and you'll be fine. Some people do manually inflate their BC's on occasion. It's a good skill to practice.

The following is not a big deal, but part of people's confusion may have come from the fact that you filled in your profile as "Logged Dives: 0-24". People may have taken this to mean that you were already certified. IMO the more common selection for students is "Not Certified", at the bottom of the drop-down list, although that's sometimes also used by some people who would rather not say or learned to dive before agencies existed, etc.

Vintage flotation vest converted to an orally inflated BC by the addition of a dump valve.

Captain, that is awesome!

That is the exact USD "safety" vest (minus the dump valve of course) that I dove with from 1976 through the mid-80's.

Thanks for posting the picture, and cool idea (installing the dump valve that is).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom