Filling a BC manually vs. with tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tend to orally inflate most of the time. If for no other reason than your buoyancy does not change until you take your next breath, that helps to keep you nicely in balance.

We must have had the same instructor :)

In the old days we did it because we didn't have an auto inflator, now everyone (but me) has one. I am aware of a dive accident where a student ran out of air and the instructor was taking the diver to the surface, she couldn't get enough lift to get her and the student to the surface so she dumped the students weights. That sent him sailing to the surface giving him an embolism. In discussions after the event with DM's and Captains it became apparent that Old Scool guys immediately though of manually inflating the student's BC, while the new guys didn't hit on that as an option. Also you may find it interesting to see how quickly you will learn to add the exact amount of air you need instead of taking the blast from your auto inflator.

stanw,

Could you please tell me which agency you got certified through, where (what shop) you went to and the name of the instructor you had.
Please don't get me wrong, I'm not ripping on you at all, I'm just concerned.

Eric

How about the more times the reg leaves your mouth, the better chance you have of getting into trouble?

I have often thought about oral inflation to conserve back gas. But the issue is that once you add a task, you elevate your blood pressure and breathing, so what is really gained?

How about the more times the reg leaves your mouth, the better chance you have of getting into trouble?

I have often thought about oral inflation to conserve back gas. But the issue is that once you add a task, you elevate your blood pressure and breathing, so what is really gained?
When you cross the street you have a 'better change fo getting into trouble" than when you don't. So you take some care. It's the same thing with having your regulator out of your mouth. First of all I don't suggest diving any deeper than you are completely comfortable making a free ascent from or dive in a technical mode where you have thought through and practiced what you are doing to do deal with a primary gas failure. Taking your regulator out of you will, by definition, increase your chances, but the increase should be so infinitesimally small as to not warrant consideration. If you are so bothered by the idea of having your regulator out of your mouth elevates your blood pressure and/or breathing, I seriously suggest that through practice, mentoring or additional training you get beyond that problem ... until you do so you present a very real hazard to yourself and to your buddy.

This has got to be a troll.
Please tell me you're not serious.

It's a perfectly reasonable question. As someone who's probably learned about "squeeze", he knows that all air pockets will compress or expand with descent or ascent.

So, is there danger in descending too far on a breath hold? Probably. Don't your lungs have to contain some residual volume to prevent collapse?

It's a perfectly reasonable question. As someone who's probably learned about "squeeze", he knows that all air pockets will compress or expand with descent or ascent.

So, is there danger in descending too far on a breath hold? Probably. Don't your lungs have to contain some residual volume to prevent collapse?

Very reasonable questions if he is currently in OW class, or about to start class.

Very troubling questions if he is already certified.

stanw: Fire away with the questions, you'll get some good answers here (for the most part :D ); but if you are already certified (and from your posts it sounds like you are already diving), this is pretty basic information you should already "own" for your safety.

My questions to the OP.

Do you have your inflater ready before you take out your reg? I would and then when would you actually need to hold your breath? If you are preparing to take your reg out of your mouth aren't you going to do so after you inhale? Aren't you descending in the water column hense the need to inflate to neutralize? And finally, If exhale slowly while switching are you going to fully empty your lungs and not be able to add the small puffs of air to make yourself neutral?

I don't see why you would have to hold your breath when doing this basic skill. If you are rising in the water column you should be deflating not adding air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom