Filling your own tanks on a small boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orchidius

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there

I am an amateur diver and avid sailor with the wild idea to sail across the atlantic ocean in my own boat. I'm Europe based, so in my case that would mean passing by spain, morocco, the azores and cruising the caribean for some time before returning. It speaks for itself that I would LOVE to take my gear with me to be able to dive all the beautiful sites I run into along the way. The problem however will be finding a spot to fill up my tanks every time...

So, my question to you guys:

Is there a way to fill up your own tanks that doesn't require extremely expensive and/or complex equipment? The more low-tech the better, also (since it's on a boat) the smaller the better. This will probably sound extremely stupid, but I was thinking maybe small air compressors or even footpumps? (how long it takes to fill the tanks is not an issue at all).

Thanks!

Since you mention using this to fill on a boat, be very cautious of the effect of sucking your boat engine's fumes. CO is a bad thing to get into your tanks

I'd second what the Captain said as far as what your best option would be

Something like Brownies 3rd lung to provide a surface supply may be a compromise. A rig like that does not carry the burden of highly compressing the air.

Pete

Thanks for the input! I feared that was going to be the answer... The whole project is fairly low budget (no big cruiser, but a small boat), so I'm not sure yet I want it bad enough to spend a third of my total budget on... Food for thought. Any different views? That third lung just looks ridiculous, the freedom is a huge part of the deal for me.

A cheaper option may be to purchase several (8 to 10) high pressure cylinders if space aboard your vessel allows. That way you would have a fair amount of air available between ports. Another option would be a small cascade system to build into your vessel.

Thanks for the input! I feared that was going to be the answer... The whole project is fairly low budget (no big cruiser, but a small boat), so I'm not sure yet I want it bad enough to spend a third of my total budget on... Food for thought. Any different views? That third lung just looks ridiculous, the freedom is a huge part of the deal for me.

Learn to free dive.

No offense intended but if you think a float restricts freedom in ways that scuba gear does not, then you need more experience with both.

Once most people use a hookah system, then they realize just how many compromises we put up with in regular scuba gear. Regular scuba gear serves a purpose but is beyond annoying compared to a SNUBA style system.

Plus it will make you realize that free-diving is really the way to go. Take a real free-diving class and you might realize the ridiculousness of all the compressed air stuff when diving shallow.

I've pondered this question myself. One obvious way to make the rig cheaper would be to use your boat motor for power. Problem is you don't want to be taking in any fumes near the motor, so then it gets you thinking about a really old-school setup like the farmers used to have 90 years ago with the tractor flywheel, a 50 foot long belt and a corn mill. Now that sounds like a project!

Depending on the power output and ability to convert to AC, you can probably find an electric compressor for somewhat less than a gas-powered unit. Avoiding fumes from your engine is easy... simply extend your air intake and haul it halfway up your mast...

Apart from the compressor, you also need to understand the importance of the filters and proper maintenance of them...

Sounds like a fun trip. I hope it all comes together for you!

Back
Top Bottom