Filling your own tanks on a small boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take twice the number tanks you need. Contact local dive shop in port you intend to stay for night. Drop off empty tanks in evening and pick up in morning when you depart. It takes more planning but definitely cheaper.

lots of scuba in the places you mention, just go ashore fill your tanks and get back on the boat. in caribbean some docks have compressors right there.

Hi there

I am an amateur diver and avid sailor with the wild idea to sail across the atlantic ocean in my own boat. I'm Europe based, so in my case that would mean passing by spain, morocco, the azores and cruising the caribean for some time before returning. It speaks for itself that I would LOVE to take my gear with me to be able to dive all the beautiful sites I run into along the way. The problem however will be finding a spot to fill up my tanks every time...

So, my question to you guys:

Is there a way to fill up your own tanks that doesn't require extremely expensive and/or complex equipment? The more low-tech the better, also (since it's on a boat) the smaller the better. This will probably sound extremely stupid, but I was thinking maybe small air compressors or even footpumps? (how long it takes to fill the tanks is not an issue at all).

Thanks!

You may have already gotten all the "answers" you need, but I thought I'd add some real world experience to to give you some perspective.

We ran our own sail/diver charter in the Bahamas from our 43' Hunter sailboat. We had a Bauer 8cfm compressor mounted forward of the mast outfitted with twin whips that we used to fill tanks. Usually, the tanks were kept in our 15' RIB attached to a custom-fabricated tank rack.

Basically, we would bring the RIB along side the boat, drop down the whips, and fill two tanks at a time. It usually took about 10 minutes to fill a pair of 80 cu' tanks (at least one of which was a hp steel).

The compressor was gas powered and the "snorkel" was kept well above any possible exhaust contamination by virtue of hoisting it up the mast about 20' or so...

FWIW,

Any examples for the electric powered ones? :s All I can find are really expensive gas powered ones -.-

Also prices seem quite hard to come by, for example the brownies YP25 seems quite nice, but impossible to find relevant pricing information...

How big is your boat?

Boat is 9m and will house me and one other person most of the time. I'm not very big on comfort or luxury, so that's alright. I've been thinking about the big cylinders to refill the tanks from, but on that size boat it would be too big a compromise on storage I'm afraid.

When in that area however 90% of the time we will be anchored in various places, but only going into port for groceries/gas/water/... I'm not sure yet how often that will be and how the diving facilities will be in those places but it's an option worth considering. Although it must be awfully painful to be on a sailing boat in some of the best dive-water in the world with all your gear there but empty tanks that only get filled once ever week or two :p.

Rebreather... dive all day/weekend & any depth with 2 faber 3L tanks on your back. Use your AL80 or whatever for topups between dives if you wish.

BAUER COMPRESSORS - Compressors - Breathing Air - Portable Compressors - COMPACT LINE - JUNIOR II

I have one of these at home. Mine is electic, 3 hp driven but the gas engine model is about the same size and weight. It's been really reliable. Take along a couple filters and engine oil if you're going to be out for a long time.
I picked mine up used for $2500 but I paid too much. A friend of mine got a nicer one for cheaper.

4 aluminum 80s and you're set.

Been sailing all my life and used plenty of Little Bauer Juniors that go forever...they are great....If short of $$ and you hear a compressor in the anchorage go ask for a fill...most boat owners are usually friendly..there is an interesting Chinese brand selling heaps of units local and export...just for fun I am trying a couple this year...$1000 in China!! and on paper they look good (use two Bauer too)...12ltr fill in 40 minutes, so not fast.....and only AC 220V..no petrol..so would need a little 2kva petrol gen...good luck....

Back
Top Bottom