Filmmaker Rob Stewart dies off Alligator Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not claiming anything and I don't ask you to listen to me. I have a training in natural sciences and like to think that I know something about chem, phys and math. I don't' however, know much about physiology or medicine, and investigating St John's claim requires data from that field. Specifically, the only data I need (with proper documentation) is how many mols of CO can an average person's blood absorb without negatively affecting the blood's ability to transport oxygen.

I was making the request of St. John the Diver so I could compare his credentials to those of Claudia L Roussos MD who was the individual I quoted.

I wondered that too, but didn't look it up yet :coffee:

Yup that's her.

Last edited:
I was making the request of St. John the Diver so I could compare his credentials to those of Claudia L Roussos MD who was the individual I quoted.
Got it and my apologies.

Just don't fall for the Appeal to Authority fallacy. If you (general "you", not specific "you") are able to evaluate the opposing claims based on your own competence and proper documentation of claims made, trust that rather than just trusting credentials, that's the best option. Provided, of course, that you (again general "you") are competent to also evaluate your own opinion.

Got it and my apologies.

Just don't fall for the Appeal to Authority fallacy. If you (general "you", not specific "you") are able to evaluate the opposing claims based on your own competence and proper documentation of claims made, trust that rather than just trusting credentials, that's the best option. Provided, of course, that you (again general "you") are competent to also evaluate your own opinion.
I have read other articles relating to CO and rebreather diving but believe they were in printed articles that I could not find on the internet so I quoted the one I could find. I made no claim that they were correct but put them up as a counter argument to those making what I believe were unsubstantiated claims. The first two that I responded to were "silly theory" and "BS".

I'm not claiming anything and I don't ask you to listen to me. I have a training in natural sciences and like to think that I know something about chem, phys and math. I don't' however, know much about physiology or medicine, and investigating St John's claim requires data from that field. Specifically, the only data I need (with proper documentation) is how many mols of CO can an average person's blood absorb without negatively affecting the blood's ability to transport oxygen.

Be a good starting point and one I have a call in about as well.

My empirical guess is that there are a few different regimes that would play. These are not in any particular order.

1: PPM CO so low that it's of low consequence for an OC diver but rebreathing the gas might be of consequence to a CCR diver. Need data on CO uptake rate to look at this.

2: PPM CO in a range where uptake by a CCR diver ends prior to critical levels (availability ends as all available CO in the gas bolus has been accepted by the hemoglobin) while for an OC diver that's not true (continued availability of additional CO continues to saturate the hemoglobin to an end point higher than the CCR diver). Likely a lower PPM than example (1) above.

3: PPM CO that's high enough that for a CCR diver there's CO still in the loop gas after the hemoglobin has been fully bonded with CO, and which level of CO would be producing the same effects on an OC diver.

It's an interesting calculus. Waiting for the reply on how many moles of CO are needed. It'll be educational to look at. Need uptake rate data as well.

Collaboration, rather than competition. I've never dug my feet in regarding "who" is right. Science demands wefigure out "what" is right.

Set some constants to work with. Loop volume will be one important one. Depth as well of course.

It's an interesting calculus. Waiting for the reply on how many moles of CO are needed. It'll be educational to look at. Need uptake rate data as well.
Well, you're the one who claimed that there isn't enough CO in a bottle of dil to make a difference. I'm still waiting for your documentation of that claim. Don't hand-wave away the central question here.

"Might" not be. It's an illustrative description for the layman.

This isn't a scientific journal. If you want to collaborate on an article suitable for peer review, PM me.

how many mols of CO can an average person's blood absorb without negatively affecting the blood's ability to transport oxygen.

:D The answer is, obviously, zero since any one CO molecule bound to hemoglobin is the one O2 molecule not transported by the blood.

HTH

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom