Filters on C5050? Any special requirements?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KidK9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I bought some topside 52mm filters today for my C5050. I was wondering if any adjustments need to be made to the camera settings so that the camera doesn't "override or overcompensate" for them. Anyone? Thanks so much.

KidK9:
I bought some topside 52mm filters today for my C5050. I was wondering if any adjustments need to be made to the camera settings so that the camera doesn't "override or overcompensate" for them. Anyone? Thanks so much.
What filters have you got?

Promasters. I got a polarizer filter, one that enhances the reds on sunsets, a red one that improves contrast of black and white, and another one that makes flowing water look "cool" - for lack of knowing the right words :)

KidK9:
Promasters. I got a polarizer filter, one that enhances the reds on sunsets, a red one that improves contrast of black and white, and another one that makes flowing water look "cool" - for lack of knowing the right words :)
I use a Hoya polarizer to get better blue skies and that's about it. I think using colour filters with Auto White Balance can be a little tricky. If you have Adobe Photoshop and Adobe RAW convertor and speed and space is not an issue then I suggest shooting in RAW. Not only do you have more control but it also minimises the chances of the camera's Auto White Balance messing up your pics when shooting in JPEG. Shooting in RAW does increase your workflow time though.

ReyeR:
I use a Hoya polarizer to get better blue skies and that's about it. I think using colour filters with Auto White Balance can be a little tricky. If you have Adobe Photoshop and Adobe RAW convertor and speed and space is not an issue then I suggest shooting in RAW. Not only do you have more control but it also minimises the chances of the camera's Auto White Balance messing up your pics when shooting in JPEG. Shooting in RAW does increase your workflow time though.

What's workflow time?

KidK9:
What's workflow time?
You will need to (Step 1) open the RAW file in Adobe RAW Convertor and tweak the settings (WB, Exposure etc) before you can do any of the (Step 2) normal adjustments (Levels, Curves etc) in Photoshop. As opposed to shooting in JPEG which you can open straight away in Photoshop and apply Levels, Curves etc. This is because when shooting in JPEG the camera applies the settings of Step 1 automatically before saving as JPEG.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom