• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Fin break-in period?

Discussion in 'Deep 6 Gear' started by dulinor, Dec 11, 2019.

1. dulinor

dulinor ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I finally got to dive my blue Eddy fins (size large purchased last year in the blue Friday sale.) had a week in Little Cayman, which was overall fantastic. Fins didn’t work great for me unfortunately - got a lot of pain at the top of my foot (which is admittedly high) felt like a combination of a stiff pocket and a lot of sliding around of the boot at the toe. Not sure if my booties (pinnacle ankle-high) were an issue. Had some small marks/blisters at the top of the feet by the end.

3-4 dives per day - felt fine at first but gradually became an issue. I’m coming from ScubaPro TwinJets which are super flexible. Might also have been the spring straps which were super convenient but maybe didn’t make everything as tight as a pull strap.

Break then in more? Thicker boots? Tighten the straps? 10.5 US feet, sometimes take a wide shoe.

Otherwise I like them - big upgrade in maneuverability and easily identified underwater.

2. BoundForElsewhere

BoundForElsewhere ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Is there such a thing?

My RK3's are going to get better? Sweet.

3. runsongas

runsongas Great White

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    are you flutter kicking or frog kicking?

4. dulinor

Flutter by default - I’ve been conditioned by the split fins. Frog was better - huge improvement from the TwinJets but I didn’t do it enough to tell if it made the pain better / worse.

5. Divectionist

Divectionist Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    any reason for this other than habit?

Arguably switching to frog kicking would place most of the pressure onto the bottom of your feet rather than the top, where your pain occurs.

Sometimes a different boot can help and make the same fins feel different, however, sometimes the fin just doesn't work and you'll have to move on.

6. dulinor

Just habit - definitely may try again changing styles. If I can find a way to get pool time that would be ideal but went a year with new fins without getting them wet which should tell you how likely that seems.

(apologies for the edited post - one of my three year olds grabbed the phone and started hitting things randomly while I was writing my last response.)

7. Diver below 83

Diver below 83 Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Try a thicker boot. The deep 6 thick boots are currently onsale too. You picked one of these stiffest fins on the market.

8. davehicks

davehicks Barracuda

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Perryed, chillyinCanada and dulinor like this.
  9. dulinor

Oooh that seems easy enough to try.

davehicks likes this.
  10. AustinV

AustinV Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Lycra socks inside my boots help prevent blisters on the fins I have that cause blisters...

These are the ones I use : CLICK HERE