Finally Certified!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all, new Dallas area diver here. I’ve been lurking the forums for a few months now while working on my OW cert. I finally wrapped that up last weekend and absolutely fell in love. I’m signed up for my AOW class next month down in Austin at Windy Point; however I’m dying to get my first ocean dive in. Do any Texas divers have suggestions for driveable dive spots along the coast? In LA, TX or over in North FL?

Thanks!

I do not, but I'm a firm believer in getting 50 or more dives in after the OW and prior to the AOW!

Congrats on your CARD! And get to COZ!

Congratulations. I recall very well when he said "Congratulations you're an OW diver". Quite a feeling.
I only was in TX once (South Padre I.) and did an oil rig charter with American Diving. Pretty good. There is a jetty, but not good viz that day and what may have been a rip current-on the Gulf side, not in the channel).
Suggest using the S.E. U.S. sub forum (under U.S.) and then Deep Dixie Divers for info. on the Panhandle (not in the FL forum). I have extensive experience there (& AL & MS)--let me know which area you may visit (Pensacola, Destin, Panama City, etc.).

Suggest using the S.E. U.S. sub forum (under U.S.) and then Deep Dixie Divers for info. on the Panhandle (not in the FL forum). I have extensive experience there (& AL & MS)--let me know which area you may visit (Pensacola, Destin, Panama City, etc.).

TMHeimer is guiding you to the right place. For me, TX off shore diving, while on my bucket list, is relatively expensive per dive. And many of the dives are more advanced. I have a pretty limited dive experience, but Panama City is a great area for newer divers. My family has done four dive trips out of PCB. Sandy bottom at 70-ish feet. No fear of descending out of rec depth (yes, I understand the 60ft part). Granted, for you it would be a full day drive there and back. The trade off might be gas and time for N. FL, vs TX charters.

For Texas, the Texas Clipper (South Padre) is probably next on our list.

Hotels being the same, gas and time advantage to TX. Cost per dive advantage to N. FL.

Congratulations. I recall very well when he said "Congratulations you're an OW diver". Quite a feeling.
I only was in TX once (South Padre I.) and did an oil rig charter with American Diving. Pretty good. There is a jetty, but not good viz that day and what may have been a rip current-on the Gulf side, not in the channel).
Awesome, I appreciate the tips!

Yeah, American Diving in SPI, though a bit pricey ($125 in 2010 for inshore rig), was very well run. They let you all dive solo on the (small) rig and advised to just stay "inside" the "legs" of the rig and not to go below 60' due to poor viz. So I went down 100', following a leg down, and went a few feet outside it at the base, shell hunting with my light. I don't advise that, of course. Found a nice Murex shell.

Welcome to ScubaBoard and congratulations on getting certified.

Back
Top Bottom