Finally! I got my certification!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lil' Scuba

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Yay! Guess what everyone? I got my certification today! My left ear still hasnt cleared...oh well! Through some hyperventalating, and a little bit of crying, I went down! And did it! Im so excited I faced my fears! I dont think I like Windy Point, or Mansfeild Dam...but, Auquarina was fun! Man! It feels go to accomplish something!

Congrats Lil' Scuba ... I know your (errr***edit) dad is one happy person and very proud of his new dive buddy.

Last edited:
Congratulations!!!

Congrats Lil' Scuba ... I know your mom is one happy person and very proud of her new dive buddy.

My daughters Leia (Lil-Lmwb) she dropped out, but I am very proud of Lil'Scuba and happy for kvalve that he has a new dive buddy

Congratulations Lil' scuba! Glad to hear you finished your certification. While the springs are nice, don't give up on the murkier Texas mudholes yet :wink: Take your mask, fins and snorkel when you are at lake and try snorkeling some, get used to the more limited visibility. Next time out on Giant Stride you (and hopefully lil-lmwb) will be able to come help us recover anchors from their catfish guardians :wink: :D

Kudos to ChrisPete as well for working with you through the tears, fears and other preteen drama, one down, one to go :wink: :D

Congratulations! Like NadMat said, don't give up on your murkier sites just yet. Try each one three times then see how you feel about them. The first time you do something you don't know what you're getting into and it can be really scary. The second time you do it you have a little familiarity and know what to expect, that takes some of the scary out of the experience. The third time you go you're familiar with the area and the activity which takes most of the scary out of the experience, you can even give advice to people who have never been before :wink: THAT'S when you can say "This isn't for me" or "This isn't so bad". Give those sites a chance to become fun before you write them off.

That "three chances" approach works for most things you will encounter in your life. I know it has made a huge difference in my life and helped me overcome fears to have some really amazing experiences.

Enjoy your new environment! Dive safe!
Ber :lilbunny:

Hey, Lil' Scuba, I am REALLY proud of you, girl! There was a moment or two that I didn't think it was going to happen yesterday, but you're right, you overcame your fear (of catfish mostly), buckled down and did what you had to do to get your certification. That is an accomplishment you too can be very proud of! Now that the hard part is over we/you can just dive for fun...wherever we want to dive.

You have heard a lot of good advice from several experienced divers. One of the best pieces you have heard in the last couple of days is take your time and get used to the underwater environment slowly. Humans were not built to venture underwater, so naturally we all have all have some level of fear of it. The great thing about it though is that once you do get accustomed to this new place you will find and see things that few other people on this Earth ever will. Even just 20' or 30' beneath the surface is a place most never venture. If your Dad passed on his explorer gene to you this will become your #1 reason for diving.

A second good bit of advice is what Ber Rabbit said below. The first time you do something new it can be scary. After that it becomes less so. Remember how long it took Chris and I to convince you to try your first dive in Lake Travis? Then it took almost no convincing for you to go again. You'd been there and you knew it wasn't as scary as you first thought it was. Next time you go it will be even less so. Granted, Lake Travis is not the Palancar Reef, but it can be an interesting and fun place to dive if you have the right attitude. I think you do.

Finally, I would just like to give a big THANK YOU to Chris Pete. This guy is calm, cool, collected, knowledgeable, and has the patience of a saint. I couldn't have asked for a better person to teach my kid to dive. Anyone who has the pleasure of having you as their Open Water instructor is a lucky person indeed.

Maddy, you rock!! I'm looking forward to many dives together over the coming years!!

My daughters Leia (Lil-Lmwb) she dropped out, but I am very proud of Lil'Scuba and happy for kvalve that he has a new dive buddy

Hopefully, Lil-Lmwb has only delayed her certification for a little while. :wink: Given some time, she can find a way to overcome her anxieties like Maddy did. From what I heard, some of the folks at Windy Point were very less than helpful and should be ashamed for playing on the fears of a little girl. :shakehead:

Maddy, like your Dad said, YOU ROCK. When you go back to school, you'll have all sorts of cool stories to share with the other kids in your class. I think you will find that the math and science classes will come a little easier as well.

Chrispete has established himself as a true educator. I'm honored to have him as part of the Oak Hill Scuba family of instructors. Anyone seeking certification for a friend or family member would do well to have Chris as their instructor.

Hopefully, Lil-Lmwb has only delayed her certification for a little while. :wink: Given some time, she can find a way to overcome her anxieties like Maddy did. From what I heard, some of the folks at Windy Point were very less than helpful and should be ashamed for playing on the fears of a little girl. :shakehead:

Maddy, like your Dad said, YOU ROCK. When you go back to school, you'll have all sorts of cool stories to share with the other kids in your class. I think you will find that the math and science classes will come a little easier as well.

Chrispete has established himself as a true educator. I'm honored to have him as part of the Oak Hill Scuba family of instructors. Anyone seeking certification for a friend or family member would do well to have Chris as their instructor.

Lake Travis Scuba has offered Chris to go free and Lil-lmwb to check out at sterns island which is well fish free so hopefully that will work out. I think the girls both worked to hard to not have it and only time will tell. Hmmm kvalve I need to borrow your kid so I can dive tonight :D

Back
Top Bottom