Finally made it to Mexico ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great thread Bob!

Although the FL caves were my first love, I am afraid those Mexican caves have stolen my heart with all those breathtaking formations. Overall they are more physically challenging on the entry/exit than the FL tourist caves I have dived. One site had entrances to 2 different caves (Phenomenal and Las Conchitas in the White River section) and in my doubles and given my klutziness, I opted out of the downhill jungle hike. Out of the 6 days of diving, the group dived together 4 days and split up 2, which worked out well.

The place we stayed served the group breakfast and dinner and packed a lunch, which was great because we did not have to think much about food or drive/wait at a restaurant, it just showed up and was very good. They also did a great job accommodating for individual eating preferences for the group. Speaking of eating, if any cave divers have the opportunity to get to Alux in Playa Del Carmen, totally awesome ambiance (inside a cave which probably would have otherwise been more violated) and food was excellent, well worth the price.

Having guides for the group was definitely a great way to go...they and Marissa somehow oganized 3 vehicles and 11 divers and their tanks every morning. Morning 1 was a bit 3 ring circusish, but we became more organized and quicker by the day, I think by the last day we finally had a system, just in time to leave. I know those 3 guys used a helluva a lot more muscle loading and unloading tanks than I did this trip. The 3 guides not only led some people, but provided directions to the rest of the group for great dives based on their preferences or to see the showcase formations. Although I consider myself an independent character, I am not sure the day will come when I do not use a guide...they have an unbelievable knowledge of local stuff which greatly increased the quality of our trip. I personally am not proficient in Spanish, but was extremely glad one our guides were able to assist Bob with the hospital run. Definitely made me think twice about going without a guide.

And by a guide, I specifically mean our Daniel. He was the lead guide and I would not hesitate to highly recommend him to anyone else who is visiting. I would probably plan a trip around his availability, that is how good he was at everything above and below the surface. And I am not just saying this because I swooned when I saw him lift 2 sets of doubles :D

As for the people - wow on how well all the different personalities / dive styles got along, this is no small event given many of the people were meeting and diving together for the first time.

Thanks Bob, for waiting for me and Tex with our travel shenanigans at the airport, great last lunch :D

Yes, the entries and exits are some of the biggest challenges of Mexican cave diving! The last time we were there, they had changed the ladder at Grand, and although I used to be able to get up by myself with a great deal of effort, they had simply rendered it impossible. I don't know what I would have done, if I hadn't had bigger and stronger buddies with me!

Lynne, we went to that huge room ... but that's where we turned around. I opted for a guide on this trip ... and I like the guy ... but he's been way conservative with the turns ... we were basically diving quarters most of the week, despite my repeated requests to dive thirds. Today at Tajma Ha, he turned us around just shy of China Gardens ... despite the fact that I had up to that point only used 900 psi out of one tank and 500 psi out of another. I ended the dive wirh more than 1500 in each.

I like the guy ... I enjoy diving with him. But I feel like I missed a lot because of his tendency to turn us too soon ...

I wonder if he turned you just before the restriction going to the China Gardens room? It sounds like he was being overly cautious, but I've never dived to thirds there with the guys from Protec.

Last edited:
I wonder if he turned you just before the restriction going to the Chinese Gardens room? It sounds like he was being overly cautious, but I've never dived to thirds there with the guys from Protec.

Just to clarify, we used Aquatech, Protec is a different Diveop...

Just saying, diving to thirds down there in those no flow caves is probably not common.

The first 2 days, our (ScubaSam and I) guide, who knew we were relatively new cave divers, turned us at about 45 / 50 minutes and we had not yet reached thirds. He told us in advance he was going to do this while we get to know each other underwater (ie sac rate) and so he could see how we were as divers with regard to signalling, buoyancy, comfort in small areas etc. For the rest of the days we turned on our thirds. As far as I know, the rest of the independent teams turned on thirds, so I am not sure about it being uncommon.

Bob had a different guide though...so I am unable to speak to the logic there.

Edit: my definition of relatively new cave diver - 70 dives at intro level in the past 2 years and just advanced to diving to thirds a few weeks prior to this trip.

I went through my logs today ... 59 cave dives now since getting my Apprentice card in 2009 ... that makes me probably the least experienced cave diver on this trip ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I went through my logs today ... 59 cave dives now since getting my Apprentice card in 2009 ... that makes me probably the least experienced cave diver on this trip ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sam and I talked about our experience with our guide, telling him that we had a lull in our cave diving since March of 2012 and that in the last 3 months, i had done 3 weeks of cave diving at about 7-10 dives a week and Sam a bit more. Did you have an experience discussion with your guide? Is it possible that since you had less than 50 at the beginning of the trip and had been out of the caves for a bit that the time restriction had something to do with that? Also somehow, we managed not to display too much of our shenanigans in front of our guide, underwater anyway :D

Lynne, we went to that huge room ... but that's where we turned around. I opted for a guide on this trip ... and I like the guy ... but he's been way conservative with the turns ... we were basically diving quarters most of the week, despite my repeated requests to dive thirds. Today at Tajma Ha, he turned us around just shy of China Gardens ... despite the fact that I had up to that point only used 900 psi out of one tank and 500 psi out of another. I ended the dive wirh more than 1500 in each.

I like the guy ... I enjoy diving with him. But I feel like I missed a lot because of his tendency to turn us too soon ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Bob,

Did he give the option of just using a stage bottle to add to the conservatism? I think 1500psi to end the dive with is OK, given that it was a new team, new cave, new country that has different line systems than where everyone was trained, and some team members were still new (ish) cave divers.

I think as a guide I would be ultra conservative (likely so much that I'd be a terrible guide). When someone has xxx cave dives after full cave, are those Ginnie/Peacock/JB dives, or have they branched out? If you don't know that, someone can be beautiful in the water, but still panic if they have their first silt out, air loss, entanglement, etc.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom