Finally.....Roatan as a vacation spot back in the news.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Still being renovated. We expect to be open late December/early January. My guess is that if we were open now, we'd be sucking wind. Quite a few businesses in the West End are not doing well. From what we've been told, given the U.S. economy and the political issues on the Honduran mainland, business is down 75-80%.

given the U.S. economy and the political issues on the Honduran mainland, business is down 75-80%.

Yes, and back to the original post where you showed the link to that soothing and positive article on how the Bay Islands really are okay....

They couldn't seem to write that article without every paragraph including a reference to the non-existence of problems. Even the title.

Even though everything always was okay, panic still sells.

We were there that week too. The only problem we experienced was missing a night dive because the resort staff had to go home due to the curfew.

Wish there was some way to convince the world that Roatan is safe. But like Doc says...panic sells :idk:

yeah, it is sad the way that this "panic" has hurt Honduras. It is so unnecesary. We mentioned to someone, a non-diver, that we were going there in March and he was shocked. You would think we were heading to Iraq! And honestly, how many reports have we really heard about US tourists having more than minor travel related issues in the past year? I can't think of any.... :ermm:

This is the best time ever to come to Roatan, prices are down, dive boats are empty and the island is peaceful, as it has been all along. And you can feel good that you have helped the local economy!

I guess we don't pay that much attention. Heck, if we listened to all the warnings, we wouldn't have gone to Israel, Guatamala, Belize, and wouldn't be heading to Roatan and Fiji next year..... You just have to be smart. For instance we didn't use public transportation in Israel, didn't go off by ourselves in Guatamala and Belize, and won't be heading into the outer areas of Honduras...instead enjoying a bit of paradise on Roatan at CCV. :)

Yes, and back to the original post where you showed the link to that soothing and positive article on how the Bay Islands really are okay....

They couldn't seem to write that article without every paragraph including a reference to the non-existence of problems. Even the title.

Even though everything always was okay, panic still sells.

You're absolutely right....panic sells.....that said, its good that the author of the article included a reference to the non-existence of problems on the island in every paragraph. The American public's attention span is about the same as an insect, it bears repeating.....present company excepted of course :wink: I'm actually surprised it was a "good news" kind of article.....

The wife and I have found ourselves way of the "tourist track" in both Guatemala and Costa Rica and never experienced any problems. We have traveled to Central America during political unrest, Yellow Fever outbreaks, Dengue Fever outbreaks, and tourist warnings. Never a problem. And we are going to Utilla, to snorkle with whale sharks, for spring break in spite of the warnings. We are smart enough to realize it usually is the media that creates and perpetuates a "panic induced state"...don't watch the new much any more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom