Finally See my HD... in HD (but with the green cast)!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pakman:
LA, can you tell us how you came to this conclusion... In my research before buying the HC7, I never came across anyone complaining that the Sony proprietary x.v. colorspace caused any problems.

Personally I have to agree with sjspeck. My shots in the greenish waters around HK water have that nasty green cast in shadows and beyond the light coverage. In well lit footage from crystal clear waters in Philippines, I didn't have that issue.

That's why I said %90 sure :wink: . It's an educated guess and I did read here and there problems with this particular camera, or to be precise this particular color space. Unfortuntly I couldn't tell you where exactly as I deal primarely with ProHD and film ( and I read a tone of stuff), but I remember reading about the new color space. I do work in Digital Imaging and am very knowledgeable about color space issues. Not this one though... So it's fair enough to say I could be completely wrong...

But if you google "x.v. colorspace" you will find a lot of reported problems with it.

Lastly, to coment on your last comment on your footage shot in the Philipines, it's not because you can't see it that the problem isn't there. It is possible that the problem shows itself more in certain lighting situation and less in others. To really know I would need samples of video where you "think you don't see it" and samples when the problem is obvious. 1 full-res. frame would be enough it.

The thing that really surprised me about this and made me question the HC-7's imaging sensor is that none of my other Sony cameras have ever had this artifact. Filming with all four of them, in the same housing and in the same waters, has produced shadows that are dark to black with no green cast. The HC-7 is the only one that has this problem. That's why I believe it is linked to the sensor or color space rather than the lighting or white balance (both of which could remedy the problem though).

You might want to start a different thread Robin.

For what it's worth, I get better results using lights for closeup and macro shots. I think most tend to agree that lights during the daytime need to be powerful and are only better than the filter to around 3 ft. or closer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom