Finder's fee for recovered camera- is it appropriate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And what would have happened if the original owner didn't have $60 on him to give? When I go diving I often leave my wallet in the room safe and take just enough cash for the tip.
I do the same, I only bring cash that I plan on using to tip the boat people. If I had to pay a ransom, they wouldn't be getting a tip from me.

And what would have happened if the original owner didn't have $60 on him to give? When I go diving I often leave my wallet in the room safe and take just enough cash for the tip.

I think the protocol in that scenario is the SEINFELD solution, meaning the original camera owner would have to become my friend's butler for a month.

I've no problem with the "ransom".
Most people losing equipment deserve to pay for it's recovery, they shouldn't be losing gear.
It's a clear indicator they are totally over their head and likely unaware of their inadequacies.
Nowadays divers with under 20 dives are jumping in with all sorts of cameras and crap dangling everywhere.
Pay the 60 or go buy another camera, no one forced you to take more than you could handle and lose it in a benign environment like cozumel.

Treat it like scuba 'tuition', $60 for a PADI specialty 'Go Pro Search and Recovery for Butterfingers'. :)

In my opinion...

Is it appropriate for the owner to offer a reward when someone returns a piece of lost gear to them? Yes, absolutely.

Is it appropriate for the finder to demand a reward and refuse to return the item if the reward isn't paid? No, absolutely not.

This should not even be a question. I'd return the found equipment and never expect anything other than a thank you. I'd let the owner buy me a beer and we'd laugh about the lost/found camera.

It's just cheap and wrong to make a buck this way. Do a good deed for your fellow man/diver.

While I return stuff when I find it if possible. Tho I do have a nice collection of catch bags and tickle sticks I have found in the depths.

It amazes me how people will dive with expensive cameras and GoPros and not secure them properly. If you are willing to spend $400 on a gopro spend $20 on a lanyard so we don't have to have this conversation in the first place.

I truly wish I had not begun this thread as I see there are a ton of different opinions and some of them negative toward my friend who owns the shop.
You started a thread that resulted in some good discussion and was somewhat different than the usual topics. That is not a bad thing.

Many people have taken the time to respond. Deleting the thread would waste all those peoples time. That would be a bad thing.

Found something on a dive? Return it if possible. No reward? I'm fine with that. Some sort of reward (I will not accept money, beer and steak are welcome)-GREAT!
I'm asked to go and find something? As far as I'm concerned that is a work assignment and calls for remuneration.
In this case, as per OP, no reward should be called for.

Please do feel free to show better behavior and greater genrosity than the local norm. You can always mumble something about not having understood some dink's instructions to do something you didn't like.

I am very glad the OP did write this post. The post and later discussion have shown how important it is to either hang onto a found item ourselves, or only release it to someone else whose judgement we trust. I'm entirely in favor of a freely and spontaneously given cash reward, but actually money doesn't compare about how you feel about yourself, even on the occasions when some dipstick doesn't even say "thank you". What goes around comes around.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom