Finder's fee for recovered camera- is it appropriate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sorry I missed this thread. I've been away for a while. I have a story of a lost rig on Cozumel. It was my rig.

We were doing a night dive on Las Palmas, on the wall. During the dive the hose on a borrowed octo blew. I ascended using my buddie's octo. When we surfaced, I clipped off the camera rig so I could mess with my gear, or so I thought. I looked down to realize the camera rig was not secured. It was gone. I did note the location, about even with the palm tree just north of Fiesta Americana. (Tree since taken out by Wilma)
As we tooled back, there was a meeting of DMs and divers. No one was to mention the lost camera to anyone. I'll skip to the morning. I walked home from the chamber (did a useless ride as it turned out I wasn't bent, but that's another story) at 6am. Wife and I took a taxi to Caleta and met 2 DMs and two of their friends. We tool out at sunup and start a search. At one point the rig was spotted from the surface, but then lost. The rig and two orange Ikelite SS200 strobes (this was a film camera). At some point we had to give up and head back to the harbor. I sat out the day diving since I waited for the doctor to agree I wasn't bent when I met him at 11am. The group went out on their first dive. They all decided they wanted to do the first dive at Las Palmas. Guess what? They found a big SLR camera rig on the wall at 72ft. They were all very excited. I still have a photograph of all the divers and crew with the rescued camera rig.

BTW, I ended up tipping the four guys $250 among them. The camera was insured with a $200 deductible, which included lost or flooded.

As for the original post, it bothers me, not for the concept of charging $1000, but the OP is rightly entitled to it. Let's say the camera owner handed over $1000 to the DM or whomever. I would have stepped in and told him it's mine. Then give the money back to the camera owner. I don't consider it virtue signaling. I call it courtesy.

I've been visiting Cozumel for the last years 8 at 2 to 3 wks at a time. 2015 a young woman came up and said she had lost her Go Pro. Boat Captain went on the radio during surface internal. A boat responded and met us. The DM who found it wanted $200 USD for it's return and was very rude about not letting it go until he got his reward. I use this term loosely. Of coarse she didn't have it on the boat. She made arrangement for it's return. I will never dive with this DM or it's operator because of this. I just think this is wrong. Reasonable is okay but $200 ?

I've been visiting Cozumel for the last years 8 at 2 to 3 wks at a time. 2015 a young woman came up and said she had lost her Go Pro. Boat Captain went on the radio during surface internal. A boat responded and met us. The DM who found it wanted $200 USD for it's return and was very rude about not letting it go until he got his reward. I use this term loosely. Of coarse she didn't have it on the boat. She made arrangement for it's return. I will never dive with this DM or it's operator because of this. I just think this is wrong. Reasonable is okay but $200 ?
A "reasonable" amount is NOT OK if it is (like it was in the above case) a ransom! If I would have been there I would have raised a stink and put that DM's name and his dive op out there for all to see. A reward is certainly an appropriate gesture if it comes from the owner being reunited with his gear, but extortion is NEVER OK. Jeez, people can be such jerks!

Unless the GoPro had real life footage of a mermaid it aint worth $200 in ransom. I would have suggested an alternative destination for the DM to place the camera.
The camera may indeed be worth less to the owner than the data it contains. When my house was broken into the thieves stole my wife's computer but they left her backup drive which was sitting right next to the computer and connected to it. She has her own business and works at home; had they taken the drive her business would have been destroyed. The computer was fairly easily replaced.

What ever happened to simply doing the right thing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom