Finding a Buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
What are some of the ways you have found dive buddies???

Have you had difficulty finding dive buddies???

What difficulties have you encountered with new dive buddies???

Have you been able to establish a relationship with a main dive buddy???

What do you consider the most difficult aspect of keeping a dive buddy???

What do you consider the most difficult aspect of diving with a buddy???

Excellent thread-starter! :)

This might sound crazy, but so far I've always MADE my dive buddies. I get my friends of sound reasoning into diving. :) I have met a few people in advanced dive classes, as well. Generally, though, I'm at a loss for dive buddies. I can't seem to find many.

I haven't ever had any particular problems with new buddies. We spend a long time talking and sharing before we ever hit the waves. Here are some of the more salient topcis:

1) Their training. The what-if game is usually a good way to gain familiarity with each others' thought process.
2) Their notable experience, especially their accidents. Accidents don't make a bad diver, so long as they're always turned into learning experiences.
3) Their gear and techniques -- which are sometimes disparate from their training.

And for our first dive of every day, I always enforce the standard signal review and S-drill.

My "main dive buddy" would have to be my girlfriend, Kimberly. She's not very experienced, and only interested in sight-seeing, so we make a lot of pretty normal ocean rec dives together. She doesn't mind if I throw drills into the mix, though, and is definitely willing to be my safety diver when I'm practicing my "weirdo" techniques. :) Other than her, I don't have any "close" dive buddies -- but I'm ever-watchful.

The most difficult part of keeping a dive buddy deals with conditions. If they have different tastes in temp/vis/depth than I do, we'll likely do a lot of diving apart. Just like friendships, buddy relationships fade when not exercised enough.

Communication skills, swimming positions, dramatically different gas consumption rates, and dealing with "perceived emergencies" are the most difficult parts of the buddy relationship. All but the gas consumption can be ratherly easily solved with enough surface dialogue.

- Warren

Well, I have to say I haven't been able to find a dive buddy at all. I did create 2 buddies out of my GF and my Best Friend.

Problem is my GF pretty much left me right after getting certified and my best friend has no interest in NJ/NY diving. Neither Lake or Ocean. He only wants the tropical stuff and I can't afford to travel.

I'd definately say that was the major reason for having difficult finding a dive buddy for me. Location. Most divers from this area have either already tried local diving and given up on it for more exotic locals or are not interested in diving here to start with.

It is also difficult due to there not being a year round diving season here. So unless you are a dry suit cold water diver you wind up SOL for a large part of the year.

I will say this however....I honetly belive I'll never be happy with any woman I meet in the future unless she is into diving. Can;t think of a better dive buddy than one's Significant Other.

SpyderTek

Originally posted by VTWarrenG
Excellent thread-starter! :)
My "main dive buddy" would have to be my girlfriend, Kimberly. She's not very experienced, and only interested in sight-seeing,
- Warren

If I were your buddy, in between the planning and the S-drills, could we actually get to look at stuff? :)

Seriously though, my wife is my main buddy. My job is to maintain buddy contact while she seeks out wildlife. When she's not around, I'm not real picky about buddies. I don't "tech" dive, so no OHE's for me. Pretty much I'll give everyone a chance not to harm me or hurt themselves in my presence. I do insist on checking equipment thoroughly, and noting any real differences in setup. Maybe one air-sharing drill to start.

Warren, if you need a buddy sometime when you dive out of Ventura, e-mail me. I'm a reasonably experience diver, and don't mind learning or being taught new things. You may NOT comment on my bright yellow fins.

Neil

unlike VTWarrenG, I can not "get my friends of sound reasoning into diving". The problem lies not in a dearth of friends, but in the fact that they all have the same "reasoning capabilities" as me. Now THATS scary!

Kidding aside, I used to just hang at local LDSs and sometimes met people on the boat. I do make friends easily and don't mind helping others out. Seldom do I get to dive with those who I consider better than me. Recently, I dove with Walter and a few divers of off Diverlink.com. I found myself watching them so closely at first, until I finally got it through my thick skull, that the student was supervising the teachers. I was able to relax and actually enjoy the dive for being just that.

At this point, I have many who like to dive with me. Its merely asking early enough to amke sure they can make it. I enjoy meeting new friends and learning from different experiences. I don't think I would ever want to be tied to just one or two buddies. However, I don't do technical. I enjoy open water diving WAY too much, and don't want to have to focus so much on the mechanics of the dive. If I DID tech/cave then I could see the obvious benefit of having a dedicated buddy.

I'm what you could call a buddy "whore". I've had over 30 different buddies outside of the classroom experience in the past year and a half. I find them or more normally they find me from all sources, including my dive shop and the web. I've dove with a couple people from ScubaBoard.

There are disadvantages and dangers of diving with a new buddy but plenty of rewards as well. You learn a great deal diving with a variety of people. You also dive a greater variety of dive sites. I've only had bad experiences twice and that involved people who sought me out for a buddy and then decided to leave me during the dive.

I have a regular buddy as well. He is the only person other than our instructor I do technical dives with. I've found that few divers are capable of the discipline technical diving involves.

Other that ScubaBoard, the best sources for buddies on-line are at ScubaDuba and the various dive clubs on Yahoo. For most places in the U.S. it should be very easy to find a buddy. Always dive very conservatively with a new buddy, and never push him beyond his limits or the dive plan. If you are a woman, be careful about meeting a guy you don't know alone at a deserted dive site.

Word of mouth then an informal chat(sort of a mutual interview)I expect a lot out of a buddy .I need someone able to navigate above and below the water.Able to operate a boat.Knowledgeable in the type of diving I do.Have a great deal of personal integrity(my waypoint book is priceless and easily available)Able to maintain their own gear.Of the guys I regularly dive with 1 was my attorney 1 was my tech instructor and 3 were social contacts prior to diving together.There are others but I limit the environment when we dive.My wife for example dives<120' >75f and no overhead.I have had to dive off a cattle boat once and was surprised Murphy doesn't rear his head more often.I refuse to let someone else make me a statistic.

Hey neil,

Of course we could look at stuff! That IS one of the biggest reasons to dive, after all. I just like to make sure safety stays a hair above fun on the list of priorities. A good reg/light/signal/air-share drill takes all of one minute on the surface when you're good at it. :)

Warren, if you need a buddy sometime when you dive out of Ventura, e-mail me. I'm a reasonably experience diver, and don't mind learning or being taught new things. You may NOT comment on my bright yellow fins.

Anytime! Ventura's southern cal, isn't I? I'm rather new to California. Perhaps I should get one of those.. umm.. whaddaya call 'em... maps.

I'm also a reasonably experienced diver, and I welcome new knowledge gladly. I won't comment on your bright yellow fins if you don't comment on my bright blue weight belt. :eek:

- Warren

bradymsu,

Buddy whore: One who hangs around on docks in slinky waterskins and asks passers-by if they "wanna get wet." Often overheard telling people "it'll only take ten minutes, and cost $50."

:D

- Warren

***What are some of the ways you have found dive buddies???

Just by joining a dive boat and finding someone on the boat without a buddy. Most of my diving friends have significant others so I end up being the odd diver out most of the time.

***Have you had difficulty finding dive buddies???

Like you have no idea. I tried a friends board and I got the "So you dive, I dive too." response followed by the "Do you like sex?" question from half of the people that responded. The other half thought diving was a slang term for oral sex. It was a very intelligent group.

***What difficulties have you encountered with new dive buddies???

Not much, I do check out their gear so that I'm familiar with what they have on in case anything happens. When I'm really desperate I get on a boat from the original LDS. All the divers there are sold the same expensive gear that I bought so I know their gear inside out. The bad thing is that we all look very similar under water.

Back
Top Bottom